x
Admin

Shared Spaces: San Francisco announces legislation of permanent sidewalk extensions for restaurants

Good news for those who've come to appreciate sidewalk dining culture over the last few months: Today, San Francisco announced legislation to make the Shared Spaces program (a.k.a. "parklets") permanent for additional outdoor dining. The program "enables businesses to apply for a Shared Spaces permit on a sidewalk, in a curbside lane, roadway, private property, or pop-up entertainment through a single easy-to-use application portal."

As a San Francisco resident, I'm excited to see how making this permanent this would add vibrance to my neighborhood as well as support the recovery of restaurants over the long term when indoor dining is back to full capacity.🍝🍷🍰

Parklets in San Francisco's Castro DistrictParklets in San Francisco's Castro District

In the press release, Mayor Breed reiterates: “ ‘Shared Spaces have brought people so much joy and an opportunity to safely enjoy their neighborhood and support local businesses during an otherwise incredibly challenging time,’ said Mayor Breed. ‘They have also been a lifeline for business owners, providing restaurants, cafes, and stores with the space they need to offer outdoor services and keep their businesses going. Seeing people dining and enjoying themselves outdoors has been amazing, and I know this program will be an incredible asset for our city as we recover and move forward.’ ”

For more details on the proposed Shared Spaces program, go to: sf.gov/shared-spaces-future

Full details in the press release here: Mayor London Breed Announces Legislation to Make Shared Spaces Program Permanent in San Francisco

How about in your corner of the world? Is your city fully embracing any temporary measures initially put in place during the pandemic? We'd love to hear about it — please share in the comment section below.

Here's to hoping.🤞

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 1
0 REPLIES 0