x

Since OS 13.1.2 update my contactless chip reader is no longer paired

Well I slept OS 13.1.2 Loaded onto my iPhone 10. This morning it no longer  recognized my contactless chip reader. I tried to delete the reader and repair it but it's clear that the device does not recognize that Bluetooth is enabled on my phone. On the phone, I can go into settings, verify that Bluetooth is on and select the square device only to receive a notice to toggle Blue Tooth on.  Tried and retired this with no success.  Any work arounds?

Scott

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ScottinMA - thanks for letting us know about this! So sorry to hear about the trouble.

This one is puzzling. We did have a known issue with iOS 13 effecting the Square Stand, but there haven't been any reported issues with the iPhone pairing to the Contactless & Chip Card reader. 

Is it possible that there is also a pending update for the Square app, as well? Often times we do push out periodic updates that are timed with new device software releases, which could deprecate the basic functions of the app if it has not updated.

If everything is up to date, this is a situation where I would reach out to our Support Team for troubleshooting. Diagnosing issues like this are a bit easier over the phone. 

Hopefully this gets you back up and running! Let us know 🤞

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

Nothing has solved this so far.  Made sure the app was up to date; reset the contactless chip reader, hard reset the iphone X.   When orange lights flash on chip reader the app tells me "Turn on Bluetooth to Allow Square to connect accessories" but Bluetooth is activated on the phone.   I have deleted the chip reader from the list of "my devices" on my bluetooth list and tried to pair but all I get is that frustrating message to turn on Bluetooth.   No problems before the OS upgrade.   Wondered whether the chip reader is causing it but it seems to me to be the app itself.  No problem using bluetooth with other devises on my list..just square.

Scott

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi again, @ScottinMA - thanks for the update here. I'm really sorry that this issue has been so prolonged for you. I took a look into the case notes from when you reached out to our Support Team, and I still think there are some more steps we can take to troubleshoot this a bit more. I appreciate your patience.

Let's try this - can you completely uninstall your application from your device and reinstall? When doing this, it might be best to jump into your Bluetooth settings and opt for your phone to completely 'forget' the Chip Card Reader altogether. Let me know if there is any change here.

Also, just a quick heads up - I'm going to follow up with you via Direct Message. I want to make sure you don't get bounced around anymore between myself and support. Keep an eye out 📫

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 5

Deleted app from the phone.   Had previously deleted Square from my BlueTooth list.  Downloaded app from iCloud and installed.  Signed in.  Enabled BlueTooth.  App installed and held button for orange flashing lighting.  Waahla!!!!!!   Joe is the man!

I think I might be back in business!

Scott

Message 5 of 5