x

Square App iPad 2 issues [Investigating]

See for yourself..... and this is just opening the app after last weeks update never mind trying to connect the chip reader which is almost impossible or takes 15 minutes to connect. After trying to deal with this app update for a few days it forced me to drop $600 on new hardware. Unacceptable! Also the iPad 2 in this video was completely reset and app was re-installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEIIPs3D4w8

Message 1 of 41
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: 1-3 gen iPad and POS

@ADB4593

I wanted to address this more specifically and give you a bit of context.

The outage we experienced last week affecting your devices was an outage that affected all of our sellers using the Contactless and Chip Reader with iOS devices. Those of you on iPad2 and iPad3 would have seen an increased issue with performance because the processor in the older iPad's was not able to compensate for the glitch we were experiencing. This resulted in iPad2 and iPad3 (running iOS 9 and iOS 10) to have a higher level of disconnection with the readers.

iPad2 as well as iPad3 are not able to support iOS 12, the latest version of Apple's operating system. Although it is true that we're able, in most cases, to support the Square App on these devices, it is likely you will experience more issues with an outdated Operating Systems. Square compatibility for iPad2 and iPad3 will be officially phased out in the near future. We have not announced a specific date for the official sunset of these products at this time. You will receive advance notice when we make this change permanently.

Updating the equipment is quintessential to supporting your App properly and keeping you from having outages like this one. We also realize that not all sellers have the ability to update their equipment when needed. We do send out notifications when products will no longer be supported, and we have sent out these previously in 2018 about the stability of these devices and the recommendation to upgrade. 

We've implemented a fix that has stabilized this outage — but I do want to stress that updating your equipment so that it can progress with Apple updates will keep you running smoothly and give you the ability to access all the features that we offer.

Verified Answer

Re: 1-3 gen iPad and POS

Hello again. I know this issue is frustrating, and I apologize! Engineering is continuing to investigate this connection issue.

I'd really like to encourage you to reach out to our team. I do realize asking each of you to take time out of your already busy days to call into our Support team is a large ask. However, they will be able to go through troubleshooting steps that should help with these connection issues.

Our Community Team will continue to post updates here when we have more information.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Update: Good news! Our engineering team has just implemented a fix for the iPad 2 and Contactless Reader connection issue, and we've just released an new version of the Point of Sale app to the App Store (version 5.19.1). This update should be available for everyone soon. To check for an updates open the App Store app from your iPad. 

When you've updated the Point of Sale app you should be able to use your Contactless and Chip card reader as normal. If you're still having trouble, call our team so we can help.

I really appreciate your patience while we worked to resolve thism and I'm sorry again for the disruption this caused. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 18 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

@ADB4593

I wanted to address this more specifically and give you a bit of context.

The outage we experienced last week affecting your devices was an outage that affected all of our sellers using the Contactless and Chip Reader with iOS devices. Those of you on iPad2 and iPad3 would have seen an increased issue with performance because the processor in the older iPad's was not able to compensate for the glitch we were experiencing. This resulted in iPad2 and iPad3 (running iOS 9 and iOS 10) to have a higher level of disconnection with the readers.

iPad2 as well as iPad3 are not able to support iOS 12, the latest version of Apple's operating system. Although it is true that we're able, in most cases, to support the Square App on these devices, it is likely you will experience more issues with an outdated Operating Systems. Square compatibility for iPad2 and iPad3 will be officially phased out in the near future. We have not announced a specific date for the official sunset of these products at this time. You will receive advance notice when we make this change permanently.

Updating the equipment is quintessential to supporting your App properly and keeping you from having outages like this one. We also realize that not all sellers have the ability to update their equipment when needed. We do send out notifications when products will no longer be supported, and we have sent out these previously in 2018 about the stability of these devices and the recommendation to upgrade. 

We've implemented a fix that has stabilized this outage — but I do want to stress that updating your equipment so that it can progress with Apple updates will keep you running smoothly and give you the ability to access all the features that we offer.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

We have a Square Stand with an iPad 2 and the card reader dock, suddenly the app is taking longer to find the card reader, that is connected via USB. When find it, the square application  starts to freeze. If we disconnect the Card reader everything works fine. The USB connector seems to work fine since the scanner and the register work. 

Note: Card reader has been removed from the dock and has been reset.( same issue)

Ipad 2  MODEL: MC979LL/A - Ver: 9.3.5

Square Stand: ST-S015

Firmware Ver: 0.1.111

Hardware Ver: 1.0.6

Thanks

Message 2 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hey @digimobileus,

I added your post to this existing post in the Community around the issue with the iPad 2 and the Contactless readers.

Please see my answer above for further information on this known issue we're investigating currently. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 41

The title of this thread has been updated from: "Complain and prepare to be silenced."

I attempted to post about not updating your Square software because you will need to buy a newer iPad and stand if you do. For some reason there was an error, and I should contact a supervisor. 

Beware! Do not update if you have a 30 pin iPad 1-3 generation with 30 pin stand.

it will turn buggy to the point of being useless and you will have to buy new equipment.

Message 4 of 41

I find it hard to believe that you (Square reps) say that all the old registers, printers, bar code scanners, and the chip reader will work with new hardware, but that you can't fix the problem that Square is having with only the chip reader and iPad2.

Message 5 of 41

@Mattandjulie, there's no reason Square couldn't just make the previous version of Square available for those of us who use iPad2s. Other apps make their legacy versions available to use with older hardware. As I said before, I don't care if I don't have the few improvements with the latest version, I just want it to work with my iPad2.

Message 6 of 41

They claim an Android may indeed be able to roll back to a previous version, but because of Apples security features, the iPad can not. I just received a latest model iPad and compatible Square stand for $404.00 on Amazon Prime after fighting the Square for 4 days. Found that if you use a plug in card swiper without stand, reader, printer and cash box connected, it would work just fine.

Its Squares way of making us buy new equipment.

Message 7 of 41

Interesting that Square said that, because some of the other legacy apps I use work with Apple hardware. I only have Apple products: iPhone 6, iPad2, iPod6, and MacBook Pro 2012! Sure, not all the latest and greatest, but they work for what I need, until some company like Square leaves us hanging.

Message 8 of 41

I am ready to jump the Square ship.

Message 9 of 41

At the risk of Square freezing my account upon reading this, I'm looking into other options as well.

Message 10 of 41

Until now I was pretty happy with them, with the exception of them wanting to charge me for everything you’d want to do with your own customers. You would think that for 2.75% of charge sales, you could contact your own customers and do what you want with the information we collect.

Message 11 of 41
Admin

Hello again. I know this issue is frustrating, and I apologize! Engineering is continuing to investigate this connection issue.

I'd really like to encourage you to reach out to our team. I do realize asking each of you to take time out of your already busy days to call into our Support team is a large ask. However, they will be able to go through troubleshooting steps that should help with these connection issues.

Our Community Team will continue to post updates here when we have more information.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 41

Calling Support is no help. They just say I have to upgrade my hardware 😒

Message 13 of 41

I was told the same thing. “Upgrade your iPad”. Upgrading your iPad means buying a new Square stand. Helluva way to treat paying customers. 

Message 14 of 41

I already have called. Twice. First time was offered 1k in processing. Around 20  bucks. Second time was offered 3k for a total of 4K in processing. A whole $80 for the headache of 4 days of crap service and spending just over $400 in new equipment. On top of that, they stiffed me out of 1k of processing. 

Quit sticking up for them. They also shouldn’t charge us for our own customers info. 

Message 15 of 41

@Mattandjulie, I haven't used the "Add Customer" option. Are you saying that after you "Add a Customer", you can't see that customer's purchasing history, without paying Square for it?

Message 16 of 41

Endlessly bombarded with marketing emails trying to get me to spend money for my customers info. 062AAB70-1214-47BD-B4F0-21AD98864089.jpeg

Message 17 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

Update: Good news! Our engineering team has just implemented a fix for the iPad 2 and Contactless Reader connection issue, and we've just released an new version of the Point of Sale app to the App Store (version 5.19.1). This update should be available for everyone soon. To check for an updates open the App Store app from your iPad. 

When you've updated the Point of Sale app you should be able to use your Contactless and Chip card reader as normal. If you're still having trouble, call our team so we can help.

I really appreciate your patience while we worked to resolve thism and I'm sorry again for the disruption this caused. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 41

Ok, it seems to be working and while I appreciate your programmers fixing the issue, not only did it create a big headache for almost two weeks, but it was incredibly disingenuous to have first been told it was because our equipment was out of date and we needed to buy new iPads and new Square Stands. It would have been a lot better to have said from the beginning that you'd be looking to fix the glitch.

Message 19 of 41

Yup cost me $450 do I get a fee credit for the disaster? LOL

Message 20 of 41

Well, now I'm having a similar issue with my bar code scanner, ever since they did the update to fix the chip reader. Anyone else having this issue? I hope they at least try to solve the problem first, before blaming the hardware.

Message 21 of 41