x
Beta Member

Square Online Store Charging Customers too much for Shipping

We have been experiencing our Square online store charging our customers almost twice the amount for shipping than what we pay for shipping!  The problem has been with Square's E-Commerce group for over a month without resolution and with no communication from them that they are even working to resolve the issue!

We have been loosing online sales because of this problem :(.  Has anyone else had this problem with customer shipping cost?

We are now looking at other online store options outside of Square.  Does anyone have any good suggestions and/or experience with other online store providers?

Michael Gamble
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

HI, how do you have your settings regarding Shipping?  Are you using by weight? Flat Rate? and have a Fallback Rate?  If the settings or rules are not setup correctly double charges for Shipping can happen.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 10.36.07 AM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 18
Beta Member

our shipping setting is real time by weight and box size

Michael Gamble
Message 3 of 18

HI, thank you, can you please share a screenshot of your Destination Regions & Rates?

Here are the breadcrumbs and screenshot to locate.

Online Dashboard, Fulfillment, Shipping

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.47.42 AM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 18
Beta Member

bluemule_0-1624990546485.png

Michael Gamble
Message 5 of 18

HI, thank you for the screenshot. 

Here are a few Square Support pages regarding Real Time Rates.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6909-connect-to-fedex-or-ups-with-square-online-store

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6914-set-up-real-time-shipping-with-square-online-store

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6910-set-up-shipping-areas-and-rates-with-square-online-stor...

Regarding the free over $100, is it added under +Add Another Rate, Free Shipping?

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 1.36.31 PM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 6 of 18

As of today, 11/1/2021, this is still a problem 😞

I have reported it to Square again. Now I know why people use Shopify...

Message 7 of 18

I spent an hour and half with Square last night and they STILL cannot isolate and fix the problem. Yes, my setting were correct. Grrrrrr.

Message 8 of 18
Beta Member

After I waited for 2 months for e-commerce tech team to work the problem they basically gave up and said that the problem resided with UPS !!

Michael Gamble
Message 9 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi @SDSoapery and @bluemule Super sorry to hear you are both having trouble with your shipping rates! 

Can you both post a link to your website, and let me know one of your order numbers that charged too much for shipping? 

Message 10 of 18

Hi,

Has anyone found a shipping set up that works, without fail? I want to use weight based to avoid overcharging my customers but its looking like flat rate might be the way to go.

Right now it is clear that the "Real Time" shipping has glitches that have required me to refund shipping overcharges. Today Square Support posted about "Item Level" shipping and it is clear that has a lot of bugs.

HELP & THANK YOU.

Message 11 of 18

Hi @SDSoapery I responded to your post over here

Not sure if you saw it, but please let us know if you still need assistance with this.

Message 12 of 18

I just tested it with a NC zip and it is STILL doubling the shipping. Yes, I still need this fixed. 

Message 13 of 18

Have you had a chance to reach out to the support team for **bleep**istance? We have limited access to accounts through this page, but I can try to take a look if you confirm your site url. 

Message 14 of 18

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with support; they indicated my setting were correct but could not identify the problem.  I do not have more time to waste. 

Here is the url: www.sanddollarsoapery.com

Thanks for trying.

Message 15 of 18

I took a look at your settings, and everything does appear to be set up properly. Can you let me know an order number that has doubled the shipping rate so I can try to recreate it? How much did you end up paying for the label compared to what the seller was quoted? 

Message 16 of 18

I think I solved the problem.

First, I removed the "default" box Square set up (10 x10 x 10 with 70lb max). Second, I added a maximum number of items per box type. I tested multiple zip codes and multiple item configurations and this seems to work. 

Nonetheless, Square Support has not gotten back to me and has demonstrated unacceptably poor customer service and support; as soon as I can convert to another e-commerce platform, I will. 

Message 17 of 18

@bluemule: I think I solved the problem myself.

Here is a link to a thread I had started about this:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Community-Discussions/Shipping-Setup-That-Actually-WORKS/m-p/3178...

I am using USPS not UPS--maybe it would work for you, too?

Message 18 of 18