x

Square POS vs iPad

So I’ve had two square pos systems that I’ve used for a year now and they seem very slow at times. When I’m entering in a large order 20-40 people it’s so incredibly slow I’m waiting for it to finish adding an item before I can move on. I deal heavily in take out and large orders so this takes up a lot of time. I recently decided just to try an iPad as a 3rd station for employees to clock in on and just generally test it out. It’s lightning fast and super responsive compared to the square all in one system! Does anyone know how much memory are in the squares system or have issues with lag or buttons not responding very fast? I really was amazed by how fast the iPad is and am seriously considering getting rid of the other systems it’s that noticeable! Speed is everything!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@Clarkbar I might recommend that you use open tickets and try saving the tickets and then just merging them at the end.  In theory, the system should have less to have to hold on the ticket as you work.  20+ items on a ticket a little bit of big order if you are a restaurant.  You might also try giving the free version of square for restaurants a try on the register and see if it handles things any better or worse.  I haven't used the actual register, but I know it has some great features, but it is hard for anything to compete with the tight software experience of apple even on older devices.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

I have read on these forums about connection issues with the registers and other performance issues.  I would try what Donnie-M recommends with the free version on Restaurants or the Free version of Retail to see if that helps.  Or test them side by side with the Ipad.  I use 2 Ipad Stands for my business and even with lines, Square is not usually my issue.  As fast as I scan, the items appear in my checkout cart, as long as my scanner does not randomly disconnect.  To keep my costs down I bought refurbished Ipads that only connect through WiFi, meaning I can not add a sim card to them for connection through a cell phone provider.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 3