x

Square Register: My review

Our POS system was 15 years old and beginning to throw errors from time to time, so it was time to look for a replacement. We've been using the Square terminal as a replacement for our old credit card processor for about 8 months now, and decided to look at the register too.

The first consideration was cost. For us, just to replace the old software we were using with the most current version would have been around $1700. Then we still would have had to add in a new computer and printer. So, we'll call that another $1000. Grand total $2700.

The Square register was a no brainer for us. It's price (including software) was a lot less than half of what it would cost to replace exactly what we had.

We were able to export our inventory from our old system and import it directly to Square. This was for the most part a painless thing, except for some minor mistakes on item settings that were quickly found and corrected.

One of the hurdles we had to find a solution for, was for what most people call a discount for multiple items. And discounts, as we tried them in the register, weren't working the way we expected. The solution that works perfectly for our use was to set the price of the items that have muti-level pricing to $0.00. And then use modifiers for the different levels, requiring one to be chosen. This was big, and influenced my decision to purchase the register. Without it, it would have been a no go since our best selling product requires multi-level pricing.

When the register got here, installation and setup were a breeze. Especially since we had already uploaded our inventory to Square and were running our old system in parallel with Square for about a week using our Square terminal. Once everything was mounted where we wanted it, it was just a matter of logging into our Square account and BAM, our system was up and running.

From the user standpoint, the system is very easy to use. And took little training on our end. Everything is running smoothly without any problems.

Our customers thought the Square terminal was the greatest thing they had ever seen, it's speed and look wowed them. Now, they are almost speechless and are amazed with the new Square register customer display. We are getting quite a few "Wow that's nice!" comments.

I've mentioned most of the good, but there are three places where I feel Square register falls short. And we had to find a work around for them.

1) There is no cost field for items in inventory. This is a must for a retail business like ours where inventory value is reported to the IRS on Schedule C. We've gotten around this by creating a spread sheet with our item costs and overlaying it with an inventory export from Square. That causes an additional step which really wouldn't be needed if there was an item cost field in the software for the register that could be updated as needed.

2) There is no purchase tracking. Not even at a very basic level. This is something that also gets reported to the IRS on Schedule C. We've gotten around this with the same method as #1. But it would be nice to have some way to record purchases in the software. I'm not saying a full blown purchase order tracking system, but 3 simple fields. Total, discount and freight. That way we could simply record the values from an invoice and run a report at tax time.

3) Discounts can't be applied to individual items or categories. They can only be applied to the sale total.

Now I know there is software available from Square that fills those gaps. But I can't justify the monthly cost. And to the best of my limited knowledge, that software isn't compatible with Square Register. It would have been nice if they would include the top end software (Square for Retail) with Square Register at no extra cost, but it's not a show stopper.

In closing, if there were a 5 star rating system for the Square register I would give it 4.5 stars just because of those three places where I feel it falls short. Otherwise it would have been 5 stars. I would also highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new register system.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Beta Member

Hi

I agree with you,  I have only had the terminal for 2 days and the customers have loved the look of the terminal compared to my old one and the speed of it, soon as they tap its pretty much processed, unlike my old terminal where could take 5-10 seconds.

I'm waiting for Square to release an update for the POS though, as the system cant handle product discounts like 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 at the moment and this is a must in my business as the system looks very smart.

Richard

Message 2 of 9

You might want to look at what I described for modifiers in my review. We have 3 different price levels for the product described. Each, 20+ and 100+.

I don't know if that will work for you or not, but it might be worth considering.

If it's purely a discount that you run from time to time then I would think the modifier solution wouldn't work well for you.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

1) There is no cost field for items in inventory. This is a must for a retail business like ours where inventory value is reported to the IRS on Schedule C. We've gotten around this by creating a spread sheet with our item costs and overlaying it with an inventory export from Square. That causes an additional step which really wouldn't be needed if there was an item cost field in the software for the register that could be updated as needed.

2) There is no purchase tracking. Not even at a very basic level. This is something that also gets reported to the IRS on Schedule C. We've gotten around this with the same method as #1. But it would be nice to have some way to record purchases in the software. I'm not saying a full blown purchase order tracking system, but 3 simple fields. Total, discount and freight. That way we could simply record the values from an invoice and run a report at tax time.

3) Discounts can't be applied to individual items or categories. They can only be applied to the sale total.

Now I know there is software available from Square that fills those gaps. But I can't justify the monthly cost. And to the best of my limited knowledge, that software isn't compatible with Square Register. It would have been nice if they would include the top end software (Square for Retail) with Square Register at no extra cost, but it's not a show stopper.

@HeatherM

Thanks so much for this very thoughtful review! Love getting feedback like this for what is going right and where we can make improvements to the product.

Square Register will be compatible with Square for Retail in the future. 

For my business and calculating my costs for Schedule C, I always used Xero to organize my books. I do think that having this as an option for you is valid, and happy to pass that feedback to the Product team. 

The discounts is also something we hear about often and I'll be sure to continue to iterate this request. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 4 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Really great & thorough review, @HeatherM ! Thanks for sharing!

Glad you and your customers are loving it so far - and the little issues seem to be Square-wide and not specific to Register, and hopefully they'll add those new features soon!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 9

Yes, they are small issues that are in the entire Square hardware line. The same problems exist in the Square app, Square Terminal and Square Register because they all are the same software.

I would really like to see something a little more robust in the Square Register by default. Maybe not the full Square for Retail software, but something in-between. Square for Retail contains many features we would never use and can't justify the monthly fee for it at this point. I'm not even sure if that's feasible or not.

We don't use our Square Terminal any more, but keep it on hand and updated just in case of an emergency where something happens with the register and we need to fall back to the terminal. A quick switch would be quite easy. It would just be a matter of bringing it out to the counter and start using it again.

Message 6 of 9

One thing I did forget to mention is that as a retail store, we have some items that don't have bar codes on them and they rely on visual identification when being rung up.

We have those products in their own categories and have pictures tied to each item that requires visual identification. (but I am being a bit slow in getting them all uploaded)

That's a great plus for us and has cut down on misidentified items.

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

Good news for your problem item #3: you can discount items individually:

When you have scanned or entered an item, tap that item on the screen and you'll get a screen where you can apply any of your discounts.  It's an extra step, but we have been using it on our Register system for over a year.

Good luck.  We love our Register and I hope you do too.

Judy T Shumway
Message 8 of 9

Yes, I know about that. But it's an extra step and not automatic based on quantity entered.

Using modifiers makes it all happen at once since the modifiers are required for the products in question.

Don't get me wrong, we love our register too! 😄

Message 9 of 9