x

Square Terminal - Freezing at 0% loading - Send payment via computer is broken

This morning I went into my workshop and my Square terminal had proceeded to do an update overnight and reboot. It was stuck at "Loading 0%". After a few reboots, it got stuck at the same spot. Frustrating, but at least I had an option which was to factory reset.

I did that, and noticed there was a new Square Point of sale "upgrade" experience I could try under the appearance menu. I updated to that, no issues so far.

Then, I went into my Square dashboard on my computer and noticed there was a "New!" banner being displayed. This is the feature where you can take a payment on your computer which gets sent to your square terminal. So I did as it said which was to sign out and sign back in with a device code. Upon doing so, now the Square terminal just hangs every single time I boot it at the "Powered by Square" screen.

I've had no issues with Square terminal until today and it's acting like total garbage. This is stress I don't need during these times. I hope somebody is going to squish these bugs soon.

Second factory reset for the morning...already.

Here is evidence of the feature being totally broken: (Removed)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hey @kylegp,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Square Terminal.

We're not seeing any widespread issues at the moment, but have you tried getting in touch with our support team for further help? You can call our support team on 1800 760 137, I'd check in to see if they have a solution for this!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

Hey Seamus,

So the first issue was valid, but it was resolved with a factory reset so these things happen.

The second part of my post was a misunderstanding on my part.

It seems that if you pair the Square terminal for use with a PC, the entire terminal must be controlled from the PC/Dashboard side and the terminal is then unable to independently take payments as well.

To me this is totally silly. The way I expected it to work was that I could use the terminal as normal, but if I chose to start a payment from the PC/Dashboard side that it would bring up the payment on the terminal when I did so. 

I regularly need to take my terminal on the go for on-site services, so this doesn't work for me at all. I'll just continue to use the terminal by itself for now but it would be great to see this feature allow the terminal to be used standalone as well as from the PC/Dashboard. So you could "hand-off" payments to the terminal if you want from the PC, or you can enter a payment as normal on the terminal.

Jackson from Square support clarified this:

"Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your email.

There is no bug here, that's exactly how the integration is meant to look.
When you go and press "Take a Payment" in your Dashboard, the Terminal will process the payment and the screen will change as prompted. Until you do this the Terminal screen will not change.

So, in fact the system is just waiting for your prompt :)"

Message 3 of 3