x
Admin

Square UK: Choosing Square Point of Sale Hardware for Your Business

Updated 20 November, 2023.

You’ve heard about the Square Reader and you might have seen the Square Stand at a business near you. Square enables you to accept most chip & PIN and contactless cards as well as contactless payments like Apple and Google Pay. 

But how do you decide which Square Point of Sale system is suitable for your business? We’ve put together this overview of Square card readers to help you select Square hardware that meets your needs. 

Square Reader

Contactless-chip-reader-05.jpg

Accept every major debit and credit card and accept contactless payments (Apple Pay Google Pay) with the Square Reader. The Square Reader connects to your device securely and wirelessly via bluetooth. Download the Square app to create your account and start accepting card payments.

How much does it cost? £19.00 + VAT

Where can I buy the Square Reader? Visit the Square Shop to order Square Reader. Readers arrive in 2 to 3 working days and delivery is free! Expedited delivery is available.

Need a Square Reader ASAP? Purchase a Square Reader from a Retail Store.

Suitable for: Individuals who need to take payments on the go, e.g. farmers markets, fairs, or any business needing a lightweight, pocket-sized Point of Sale. 

Note: You must have a Wi-Fi connection or data plan on your smartphone in order to accept card payments with the Point of Sale app and Square Reader. The reader doesn’t include a printer - if you want to issue a receipt, you can send it to your customer via email or text.

Square Stand

ph201120A_QsrCafe_28579_02_TB_SIMP_UK.jpg

Square Stand transforms your iPad into a secure countertop register. Accept all major credit and debit cards as well as contactless payments including Apple and Google Pay. Square Stand also comes with a USB hub so you can connect hardware such as a cash drawer and receipt printer for a full till system. 

Use the Square Point of Sale app to accept payments or download Square for Restaurants to manage your restaurant with Square.

How much does the Square Stand cost? £99 + VAT (if you have your own iPad) or pay in monthly instalments.

Where can I buy a Square Stand? Order a Square Stand from the Square Shop. Your Stand will arrive in 3-5 working days and standard shipping is free. Expedited shipping is available.

Need a Stand ASAP? Square Stand is also available to buy at our retail partners. You can purchase the Stand at Apple Stores, Amazon, Argos, and Currys PC World.

Suitable for: Businesses looking for a countertop solution such as retail stores, boutiques or cafés, restaurants, quick-service restaurants, food trucks, barbershops, and hairdressers.

Square Terminal

Square Terminal.jpg

Square Terminal is a portable all in one Point of Sale: accept all major cards and accept contactless payments including Apple Pay and Google Pay. Build your item library, print receipts, and connect hardware accessories with the hub for Square Terminal. Connect to the internet via Wi-Fi or optional Ethernet (hub for Square Terminal sold separately).

How much does it cost? £149 + VAT or pay in monthly instalments. Add the hub for Square Terminal (£29) to connect to the internet via ethernet or to connect USB accessories.

Where can I buy a Square Terminal? Order a Terminal from the Square Shop. Your Terminal will arrive in 2-3 working days and delivery is free! Expedited shipping is available.

Need a Terminal ASAP? Square Terminal is also available to buy at our retail partners like Amazon and Argos.

Suitable for: Cafés, bars, or restaurants to accept payments table-side. Also suitable for any business that needs a combined mobile point of sale and receipt printer e.g. bars, restaurants, art galleries, services or repair businesses like dry cleaners, plumbers, electricians. In addition, you can use Terminal out in the field (e.g. at tradeshows or for on-site services) by connecting to a mobile hotspot. 

Note: The Square for Restaurants app isn’t available on Square Terminal at this time but you can take advantage of some Square for Restaurants features when using Square Terminal.

We hope this quick overview is helpful. Reply below if you have a question or review our hardware FAQs.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 8
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

You can now also purchase the Square Register — a purpose-built till system with ePOS ad payments integrated that's ready right out of the box. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

You can find more information about the Register here

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Have you purchased a Square Stand or another piece of Square hardware recently? We’d love to learn more about your business and see your Point of Sale in action. Reply here to describe your set up or start a new thread. Photos are welcome too!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 8
Super Seller

@Helen we have a Square Register in our shop and a Square Terminal. Hands down the best hardware and software I have used in all my years in retail. The software is intuitive and easy to use by our team and the functionality is perfect for small and medium companies. I'm sold! 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 3 of 8
Admin

Delighted to hear that @phillipsrw! Thanks for sharing your experience.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 8

Hi Helen, 

I am considering purchasing a Square Reader for use at antique fairs.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I have the app on my phone to show the customer proof of the amount as they pay?

2. I assume that within the app, I will be setting up the checkout links for the fair prices?

3. The reader uses bluetooth, so no dependency on wifi then?

thanks

Rowena (the old hen) 

Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

Hi Rowena

1. Yes that is a good way to do it

2. I’m not sure checkout links are relevant but it’s your business.
you haggle, agree a price, type it in and they tap, if it’s over the current tap limiit you will need to hand over your phone for the customer to enter their pin, so that’s a consideration.

3. The reader Bluetooth’s to your phone or other enabled device. So as long as you have mobile signal you have trade. 

Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying that. Very helpful 🙂👍🏼

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Best Answer

You can now also purchase the Square Register — a purpose-built till system with ePOS ad payments integrated that's ready right out of the box. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

You can find more information about the Register here

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 8 of 8