x

Square customer facing display beta app not working

Customer facing display beta app is no longer working as of today.

We had this working well until yesterday but today when we open application, it just automatically closes.

This is happening on all devices including iPod 6, iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2.

I also tried downloading new version from https://squareup.com/beta/display but I get “Unable to download app” message.

On device that has b12 version of display beta app already installed, I no longer see app listed under Settings > General > Profiles or Profiles & Device Management to trust custom enterprise app.

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Jyp1215 It's fixed now. @Helen and @Howard got to the bottom of it.

You'll need to reinstall the app to get to the latest version then all will be well.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller

I wonder if the app closing on launch could have to do with the current app crashing when it sees an unsupported printer on the network.  I haven't used the Display app in 8 months so I can't try it.

Message 2 of 18
Super Seller

Same here. started yesterday. can no longer download\update the app either.

Message 3 of 18
Alumni

Hi @Jyp1215 & @LocavoreStore - Thanks for posting about this and sorry it's not working. I escalated this to our team and will update you as I hear back!

Message 4 of 18

How @katieand?

I thought Square stated that the new Sqaure Register was error free and no longer subject to problems?  @VanKalkerFarms it cannot be related to the printer issue becuase that is an Apple issue and Sqaure Register - the new one - does not use Apple, so we were told.  Sqaure also stated, specifically, that all testing would be completed pre-release with this new product to prevent these types if issues.

I am most interested in hearing more about this issue and the vulnerabilities that were supposed to not exist?  I am hesistent to consider purchase of another system until there is confidence and reliability.

Message 5 of 18
Super Seller

@rsklar, this is not related to the new hardware Square Register.  This is a Beta app that runs on iPads and iPad minis and has never been released outside of beta development for the last couple years.

And yes the new Square Register runs on Android not because it's "so we were told" but because it does.

Message 6 of 18
Super Seller

And I'm sure the Square Register is not error free and is subject to problems.  Switching to Android does not miraculously make every single line of code that is written by our fellow human beings perfect.  The switch to Android for the Square Register started more than a year before the problems were introduced in iOS 11.2.   There is no such thing as perfectly error-free software since error-prone humans write it.  No one tries to make errors but they happen in life.  even if you write perfect code there are OS issues and driver issues and look at even the newest problems that have arisen out of Intel with the Meltdown and specter bugs that no programmer writing apps could have known was going to be a problem.

Message 7 of 18
Alumni

Hi @Jyp1215 - It should be working again. Thanks to @LocavoreStore for letting us know and sorry again about this! 

Message 8 of 18

Hi,

The Customer Display doesn’t work on our iPhone4s either. We tried to uninstall it and it is a bad mistake since we couldn’t find the app on Apple a Store anymore. please help!

Message 9 of 18
Super Seller

Message 10 of 18

Square customer display beta is not working. Same problem as mentioned above app won't open and can't be reinstalled

Message 11 of 18
Super Seller

there may be an issue going on with it as another person says they are having issues too.  I notified Square so hopefully, they will figure it out soon.

Message 12 of 18

I just noticed this problem occur again starting yesterday.

Hope Square can get it fixed soon.

Message 13 of 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Jyp1215 It's fixed now. @Helen and @Howard got to the bottom of it.

You'll need to reinstall the app to get to the latest version then all will be well.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 14 of 18

Do I have to contact customer service to make this work. I downloaded the beta and I doesn’t show up under settings. 

thank you

Message 15 of 18
Alumni

Hey @Kkets323 

Yes - you'll need CS to enable the permission for the customer facing display on your account. Reach out when you get a chance - https://squ.re/2LW3Gz3. Select the 'Call Us' option and sign in. You'll see the number to contact Support along with your code.

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 18

Got it. Thanks. Spoke to cs and they walked me through it. One last question. Any way to have the customer display the tip screen?

Message 17 of 18
Alumni

@Kkets323 - Oh good! Glad CS was able to help. 

Customer display app is a completely different thing and is just a running total of their purchase but is not used for signing or tipping unfortunately. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 18