x

Square debit card purchase disputes

What can I do when I have had m Square banking debit card compromised.

So far I have done this:

1. Shut down compromised card

2. Got new card and set up 2 factor authentication

3. Disputed all bogus charges and got e-mal acknowledgements for all 9 in question.

4. Called Square support after 2 weeks to check on disputes.

I was switched to banking department support and talked a few support people because an e-mail indicated I received a provisional credit for the last  2 bogus purchases and no mention of the first 7.

My issue is that I have told banking support a few times via phone and email that the first 7 have not been acknowledged since I put the disputes in, 

What do I do and who can I talk to in support as I have exhausted all avenues.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

@Freshleaf The square banking products are a different animal and unfortunately no one on the forums can assist with account level questions.  The only general advice I can give you is to make sure to document everything and be persistent.  Having an account compromised is jarring enough, but people try to take advantage  of the system so much that companies have to scrutinize these type of situations.

Online banking products are great and offer a lot of advantages, but even local bank branches have gotten to the point where going in to talk to "someone" gets you a basic face to face phone support call.  Branch managers don't really have power like they used to.  I hope you get everything worked out and 2 factor authentication is your best friend.

Best wishes,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

The question on debit card dispute settlements has never been haldled appropriatly for brick and molter retail stores. There are two types of debit card transtions: Online and instore purchases.

My business is a retail store where all debit cards transaction are walk-in done by the customer handling us the credit card, show us a valid ID before the charges are manually enter into the square dashbord platform. And we create an invoice for the transaction. dispite the proof of transaction, in the event that the customer dispute the transaction after leaving the store with the purchased item, what type of protechtion is put in place to protect the investment of your vendors? I asked, because I have had similar incindents twice whare the customers/crooks are awarded  a refund or chargeback instead of your vendor.

Elvis Tarkar

Elvis Tarkar
Message 3 of 3