x

Square debit only allows up to $100, is that per transaction or per card?

Some of my customers purchase over $100.  Does this mean I have to only take credit card for those ones or can I put through 2 transactions for the same customer using Debit or is the $100 limit per debit card?

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Update: With the new Square Terminal or the Contactless and Chip Card reader you can accept Interac debit payments by inserting, tapping or swiping your customer payment card.

The $100 limit only applies to Interac debit tap payments accepted with the Terminal and Contactless and Chip card reader. To accept payments over $100 customers can insert their debit card. 🎉

For more information, check out our FAQ page.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Can I do multiple taps for the same card?" The author has been notified via email.

With the new reader is it possible to tap the same card more than once if the total is more than $100?

Message 2 of 22

I would also like to know if this is possible. 

Message 3 of 22

I have found you cannnot. It is a huge pain, and a huge embarrasement for me in my salon, where payments are often over even $200 with tip. Yes, there are benefits to having switched from my merchant provider, but I know it frustrates not only me, but my clients when they are scrambling to get another card, having had their debit declined for the second part and yet again presenting them with the tip screen! Now, I have to tell people, including brand new clients, beforehand, they cannot pay debit for anything other than a haircut. Hope this changes soon. I got the reader specifically for debit clients, and yes, I knew it was $100 per transaction at the the time, but who knew they could not split the amount . . . At least when I tried it.

Message 4 of 22
Alumni

Best Answer

Update: With the new Square Terminal or the Contactless and Chip Card reader you can accept Interac debit payments by inserting, tapping or swiping your customer payment card.

The $100 limit only applies to Interac debit tap payments accepted with the Terminal and Contactless and Chip card reader. To accept payments over $100 customers can insert their debit card. 🎉

For more information, check out our FAQ page.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 5 of 22

This is not good. I don't sell goods. I sell service. All my services are more than $100. I came to Square because I used to be a Dream Payment customer. DP didn't have $100 limit. 

I strongly suggest, wish, hope, ask, dream, desire... for Square to raise the limit to at least $200, to be square. 

Message 6 of 22
Admin

Thanks for checking in here and welcome to the seller community, @Kemila. I apologize for the frustration—we are working to offer more options to our sellers and we'll announce any updates. Please do keep in touch.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 22

Why can’t we use debit cards with the chip reader?  They could use our phone to punch their security pin. I wanted the reader especialy for debit and very rarely for credit cards. Now I can’t, because the amount is almost always over $100. I was better off with Dream payment.

Message 8 of 22

Hello @GSI, we're working to bring chip debit payments to our Sellers in Canada. Although I don't have a timeline I can share right now. 

We will make an announcement when it becomes available! 

Message 9 of 22

Hey Guys!

Square finally came up with a machine that takes the debit card with the chip!   So not limited to $100. (Square terminal). I bought it.  It works great!  It's presently $200 off.

https://squareup.com/ca/en

Message 10 of 22

If customer enters card in chip reader it works when pin is entered, at least it did when I did it, only in "tap mode" it reads up to $100

Message 11 of 22

Interesting, as it told me to swipe the debit card, not tap and the error happened. I wish I had recorded the message.

Message 12 of 22

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Tap only accepted up to $100 on debt interact card

How do you process a sale over $100 on debt card?

Message 13 of 22
Admin

Hey @Ckstylist! I've moved your post to this thread where you can read Puka's Best Answer. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 22

If your customer say leaves a deposit on their interac card for $100 (or would it have to be $99?) Could they make another $99 payment later in the day? Or what about the next day? When does the $100 limit reset?

Message 15 of 22
Admin

Hi @Gordon2!

If you need to charge your customer over $100, you can run separate transactions one after the other. If you run into any problems trying to split the transaction into multiple and the reader won't process the payment, you might want to have your customer reach out to their bank. The bank is the one who sets the limit for interac payments and they might need to verify additional information to process multiple transactions, especially if you're running transactions closely together.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 22
Beta Member

If the customer pays with a mobile phone or smart watch then larger purchases are accepted.

I have an Apple watch series 3 which works well even with higher value purchases. My iPhone also does that as well.

Recent android phones with Google Pay work fine too.

Message 17 of 22
Admin

@Hardcore_Games

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that the limit was not enforced when using digital payments. We'll look into this. Thanks so much!

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 18 of 22
Beta Member

It has come to my attention that Apple is now offering series 3 watches for $199 now which should see sales rise rapidly.

Message 19 of 22

I'm based in Melbourne, Australia. I hardlt using square now just because of this $100 limit problem. I offer a service for private transport for weddings, tours....which required deposit of $1000 plus....

Most of my customers are overseas...so they will give me their credit card details and i enter manually. And guess what, i cant get the deposit because of the limit. No deposit means losing customer....

I have the card reader, NOT THE STATION because the station is bulky and i cant bring it everywhere i go...

Please upate me with good news...thank you

Message 20 of 22

Well, actually, a few months after I bought the square Terminal because of the $100 limit, they removed the $100 limit on the square card reader!  You only have to update it.

Message 21 of 22