x

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Has there been an update to the Square retail app or gonna be in the future to add a store credit to a customers profile on it? It would so be helpful.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to give customer store credit/voucher

Trying to give a customer a complementary $25 for hardships.  I have the Advanced Accounting so I can use gift cards.  I would like to use a 100% discount promo code to pay for this gift card but the only option is Paypal or Stripe.  How can I give a customer store credit??

206 Comments
Beta Member

Add me to the list of folks that would benefit from this feature... I have customers that also like to 'prepay' for products that they know they will be needing in the future. I also have customers that "pay it forward" for other customers as a sort of 'donation' that this feature would help me manage.  

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Load store credit onto giftcard

Hi! I'm wondering if you are able to add store credit to a Giftcard without doing a return? People sell clothing to us so to have a feature that would allow us to load the giftcard with store credit just like you would with money would be really helpful!

Admin

Hello @Bro! Yes you can give customers store credit by appying a 100% discount to the Gift Card sale. But keep in mind this is a workaround right now. I've moved your post over to the feature request thread for having a specific feature for store credit. That way you'll be notified of any updates!

Beta Member

Is it possible to issue a refund using store credit instead of the original payment's credit card? The thing is, sometimes, there are items in my store that are sold that we explicitly stated that cannot be returned. But every once in a while, those returns may come from a customer that we want to give an exception and allow a refund through store credit.

So, without waiting 120 days, can I issue a refund through a different mean than the original payment method (9.9 out of 10 times, it's from a credit card)? Basically, I am just looking for a way to balance out the account without triggering a refund to the original card used to pay for the product.

If it is possible, how. And, would the buyer's card statement ever shows the refund at all, even if the refund is done without involving the card?

Hi,

I'm just responding because this is also our issue - we run a small farm CSA and take weekly payments through your recurring invoice and card on file function.  However, we would like to keep track of each customer's weekly credits as they buy down and roll over unused credits.  Basically what we need is a "store credit" function in Square that will keep a running tally of unused credit for our customers.

Example:  Sally gets $30 in credit each week during the CSA season.  Each week she spends down less than the $30, so carries over a balance of credit.  I check out Sally on week 7 of the CSA and she asks me how much credit she has available...  I would need to look up her customer profile and be able to give her a balance. 

Gift cards are too cumbersome and don't allow for regular fluctuations of the balance each week. 

Here's another scenario:  We work with other farms who often supply us with their products to sell in our store.  As a courtesy and as a way of co-marketing, we offer our suppliers a store credit so that they can come in and select some of our products (or the products of other farms) to try...  We would like to be able to offer them a store credit that did not have to be dependent on a physical gift card that they would have to remember to carry with them. 

Please run this up the ladder that this type of functionality would be very important to small businesses such as ours... 

Thank you!

Admin

@SSFMaine

Definitely a Feature Request we're looking into as it's requested a lot. So that I understand, the a balance due showing in the Customer Profile would be the feature that you are requesting? That way if a credit was issued, or payments had been made, the running total would show?

And this would be collected off of open invoices? Am I understanding correct?

I am also a consignment store and definitely need a customer credit option. Over 50% of my sales include my customer using their consignment credit. Please please please figure this out Square. Square is not a viable option for me without having a customer credit feature. 

Any update yet? I have tons of customers that pay extra and tell me to apply to The Next service....very difficult to track have to use excel when we should be able to just input it right into the transaction as a customer credit blank is an item or a Rewards. Should not be very difficult to code. As it could start out as a manual gift card option

Beta Member

This is a much needed feature for square, I can't believe how long it has been and with no update in site as store credit is one of the important things. I'm starting to realize that Square and Weebly are lacking alot of features other POS has.

We are a brick & mortar, production facility, that not only handles retail but also wholesale and fundraiser accounts. I would love to see this be a feature as we grow our business. We just did a delivery to an account and saw that they had a couple bags of our popcorn from a couple deliveries ago. As popcorn is perishable and we know our shelf life, I asked if we could pull those bags and offer them a credit on their next order. Now I have to track that credit via a post it note on my screen, and hope I do not lose it or misplace it in the mean time. Offering an e gift card does not work for a wholesale account that is done through invoices with a net 30 day term. This should not be hard to implement into the loyalty reward program and atleast be offered to those that pay for that extra service already. I'm sure 95% of square users that need this feature would opt into the $25 a month fee for the loyalty program just to be able to have this customer store credit feature... Is there someone higher up that can be called or emailed to discuss this issue further? Thanks!