x

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Has there been an update to the Square retail app or gonna be in the future to add a store credit to a customers profile on it? It would so be helpful.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to give customer store credit/voucher

Trying to give a customer a complementary $25 for hardships.  I have the Advanced Accounting so I can use gift cards.  I would like to use a 100% discount promo code to pay for this gift card but the only option is Paypal or Stripe.  How can I give a customer store credit??

206 Comments
Admin

@agirlfarmer I'm sorry for my confusion! Yes, that's correct, there's no 'other tender option'. 

I'm updating this reply thanks to @fringeandfray who provided the steps to 'purchase' an eGift card for your customer below.

I definitely see how it would be helpful to be able to issue an eGitft card as store credit for your business (without having to use this workaround) and I'll share this request with the Gift Cards team! 

You could create a promo code from your online dashboard for 100% discount, then apply that promo code to the "purchase" of the eGift Card for your customer store credit. You wouldn't need the "other tender" with this approach.

Trying to figure out how to use e-gift cards to give free to customers as a thank you or as an apology.  Nearest I can tell is that I'd have to set up a 100% discount promotion which I would just send to myself.  Use that promo code to purchase an e-gfit card to send to the customer.  Would that work?

Admin

Hello @yellowfever! I moved your post to this thread where sellers have suggested creating a promo code for a 100% discount and then applying that code to the eGift card sale (see below). 

In the meantime I'll share your request for a way to issue credit using eGift cards with the team! Thank for you for this feedback!

hi, we are looking at giving out restaurant credits. wonder what options have people used. 

the loyalty program looks ok but doesnt make sense for us to pay the monthly fee.

i am thinking we can use gift cert but we have to swipe our card first and incur a transaction fee. 

thanks

Super Seller

you can use gift cards.  you can load a card with say $20 and then add a 100% discount and the transaction will be $0 and no fees ad the card will be loaded.  you could do it with a cash sale too to load it and there would be no fees, but it would show as a sale with a dollar amount on your transaction records.  Gift cards are reusable and very durable.   https://squareup.com/gift-cards

HOwdy folks, it appears that this question has been asked repeatedly for at least the last year wiht he same response of using gift cards as a workaround for adding credit to a customer's account. That erally is not the same at all. Has ANYTHING been accompolished on this front given teh extremely relevant nature of the need and the ongoing interest in having this option?? Who ever heard of a POS system without a customer credit option?? Updates?? Progress? potential delivery date??

Thanks for any info on this ( other than try using the gift card work around (<: ).

Dan

Alumni

Hi @Kayakdan - Unfortunately, no new information to share on this front yet. We'll update this post if anything does change though. 

Do you have any "must-haves" that I could share with our product team on this request?

Yep, ability to post customer credit to their account so that we can track it and be aware of it any time they go to make their next purchase. This is a must have for us. Returns are only for store credit. People like to set up accounts with us and draw from their store credit account for future purchases both in person and online. Thanks for your help in getting this in front of whomever needs to make it happen. Seems very long overdue. 😉

This post was merged from another thread titled Any new ideas for store credit on customer accounts?

I own a tabletop gaming store (board and card games, miniature wargames, roleplaying games, etc.) and plan to start hosting frequent events such as tournaments.

I'm going to charge a small entry fee to these events, but to reduce the sting of it will allow the fee to qualify as store credit.

Unfortunately, issuing gift cards for $3-$5 each is just not going to work for this case. I would need so many cards, and the amounts on them would be so small, it'd be rediculously expensive and inefficient.

I've considered using Loyalty, where they get points equal to the dollars of their event fee and are rewarded with a discount on a 1:1 ratio of points to dollars. But this seems like a rather big hassle and I feel not worth the cost of signing up for the Loyalty function.

Having just a list to consult might be simplist. But my store layout makes it impractical to have a computer next to the register to constantly consult an electronic file, and having a physical list kept under the cash drawer or something is...well, not ideal. It might have the same problem of being inaccurate as people forget to update it instantly during every applicable transaction. It's possibly the best option though at the moment.

I've considered handing out coupons/vouchers as a form of "store credit" as well. I like that this seems to be a simple solution where I don't need to bother tracking anything. But then I'd need to worry about counterfeiting, perhaps having to put a different alphanumeric code on each voucher. Or maybe I'm overly worried about it. 😛

My main point of this post is to put another vote in for some sort of customer account credit functionality. But until that happens, I thought I'd check and see if anyone has a more clever work-around than a handwritten piece of paper kept by the register. 🙂