x

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Has there been an update to the Square retail app or gonna be in the future to add a store credit to a customers profile on it? It would so be helpful.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to give customer store credit/voucher

Trying to give a customer a complementary $25 for hardships.  I have the Advanced Accounting so I can use gift cards.  I would like to use a 100% discount promo code to pay for this gift card but the only option is Paypal or Stripe.  How can I give a customer store credit??

206 Comments

Hi there. I made a recent trade with a customer and she requested to have $40 credit to become available for her to spend on my store. What would be the best way to handle this for her? I do not want to buy a gift card from myself but would that be the best business practice in this case? In reality, the $40 credit would cost me less because I am selling retail value of $40, so it may only be $10 in actual cost. Any advice would be appreciated.

Square

Having worked with quite a few sellers, I do have a few suggestions. 

To start, if you use Square Gift Cards, it would be easy to load $40 dollars onto one of them to gift to this customer. You could load the gift card using "Other Tender" or "Cash." This way you don't actually have to charge a credit card to get a balance on the gift card. Alternatively, you could apply a 100% discount to the Gift Card sale.

If you don't use Square Gift Cards, it might easiest to keep a record on the books, or put together some sort of paper gift card. Ultimately, it's what you feel most comfortable with. 

IS IT POSSIBLE TO REFUND AN ITEM TO STORE CREDIT INSTEAD OF ORIGINAL PAYMENT?

CAN I CREATE CUSTOMERS AND ASSIGN THEM A STORE CREDIT?

Square Community Moderator

@AReaReptiles had a similar inquiry. We've listed some suggestions here, but there might be a few other solutions that your fellow Square Seller has been using!

@AReaReptiles - Hello, I am curious how you resolved this? Our retail store is switching to Square and we currently do not offer refunds, only store credit or exchange. Did you end up issuing a gift card to the customer? If so, did you also keep a record of the transaction to show that merchandise was returned in exchange for a gift card? In your opinion, would it be more efficient to issue refunds instead?

Square

@tallyflyguy - While I can't speak for AReaReptiles, since refunding to a different tender type isn't a feature right now, I think that issuing a return to the same card is probably your best bet. 

Hi there @tallyflyguy. Apologies for the late reply.

I created a gift card purchase and the code was emailed to her to use in my online store. 

How can I create and keep track of store credit

@espinethome Congratulations on making your first post in the Seller Community! We're excited to have you! 👍

If you are looking to keep track of Gift Cards that you've issued, there is a report under the sales tab called Gift Cards. It will show a complete breakdown of your gift card sales. 

This page on the help center discusses Gift Card Reporting

Please reply back if you have any other questions!

Beta Member

Did you ever come up with a solution? We are a gift store so 9.9/10 returns are from a gift recipient and therefore I cannot make the return to the credit card from the original purchaser. The other issue is how to properly record the return so that my sales tax is reversed on those items and I am not paying NYS for Sales Tax that in theory was returned and never collected.

Thoughts? Work arounds?