x
Square

Square now supports scales!

Do you sell items by weight? With the recent decimal quantities update, you can now connect a supported scale to weigh items during the checkout flow on iOS devices and the cost will automatically calculate in the Square app. No more creating individual price points for each incremental weight measurement. Needless to say, we’re very excited about this update and the impact it can have for a lot of Square sellers! ⚖️

Note: At this time, we only support one scale — the Bluetooth connected mG-S8200 NTEP Scale, but we're working to integrate with additional scales in the future! 

Check out our Decimal Quantities FAQs or Support Center article on how to sell items by weight. 

So what do I need to do to get started?

Create Items

The first thing is to set up your items by weight. Scales will not calculate for any unit type — only weight based units. 

1. Head to your online Square Dashboard.
  2.  > Items > Units
  3. Click Add Unit.
  4. Next, in order to sell an item by weight, make sure to choose a weight measure. You can choose one of the following units: Gram (g), Pound (lbs), or Ounce (oz).
  5. Once you set up the weight unit and precision, head to your Item Library > click Create an Item. Enter the item name, category, details, and make sure to select a unit type for weight. 
  6. Once you’re all set, click Save.

Get Started Purchase Your Scale

To get started, the next step is to purchase the mG-S8200 NTEP Scale

Keep in mind: We’re planning on integrating with additional scales in the future — keep your eye out for updates! 

Connect Your Scale 

To connect a Bluetooth scale to your device:

1. Make sure your Bluetooth settings on your device are turned on.
  2. To check the connection, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales
  3. Tap the scale you’d like to pair.

Your settings will be automatically saved. If your scale ever becomes disconnected, your Point of Sale app will save your scale settings. 

Note: Bluetooth scales can pair with only one mobile device at a time. To pair your Bluetooth scale with a mobile device, you'll first need to unpair it. 

Unpair Scale

To unpair your scale:

1. Open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales
  2. You’ll see your connected scale — tap Disconnect to unpair.

Learn more about setting up your hardware with the Square app.

Checkout Through the Square App

Scale.png

Scales II.png

Once you’ve created your items and connected a compatible scale, you’re ready to start selling: 

1. From the Square app, select an item from your library. If the item is variably priced, enter the item price and then the + symbol. 
  2. Enter the weight manually, or place the item on your scale. 
  3. Once the weight is calculated, tap Add
  4. Complete the sale by processing your customer’s payment. 

If the unit type is not compatible with your scale, you’ll need to enter the amount manually. 

Note: These scales are certified for use with the Square Point of Sale app. When using a scale with your business the hardware must be inspected by your state's local Weights and Measures Department, and you must set it up in accordance with local regulations.

As always, thanks so much for reading! Leave comments or ask questions!

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Super Seller Alumni

We don't sell any items based on weight, but I'll bet there are more than a few Register owners out there who do, and who won't be able to use the one scale you support so far (because the Register doesn't support Bluetooth.)  Are you working to get a USB-based scale to work with the Register?

I'm sure that many, many Square users will be thrilled by the news that you're rolling out scales.

Judy T Shumway
Message 2 of 40
Square

Hey there

I am a Product Manager on Square Point of Sale and worked on this integration. We are definitely planning on bringing USB based scales to the Register in the near term. Stay tuned 🙂

Message 3 of 40

The two scales listed on the Square website that are compatible with Square POS aren't even allowed to be legally used in any NY state businesses. After further research, they're actually not certified for retail use in the U.S. in general, so why even offer them? It even states that right on the front of the scale. I made the mistake of purchasing the bluetooth one, only to find after reading the front of the scale "Not for legal use" that couldn't use it. I had my county's Department of Weights & Measures come out to make sure, and they confirmed it. They couldn't understand why a POS company would even offer them, when their clients can't legally use them for their sales. Any business that needs a scale, needs it for LEGAL USE. What a waste! You should inform your customers of that MAJOR piece of information on the description page of the scale products.

Message 4 of 40
Beta Member

Please let me know when there is a label printing scale that is compatible.  We have been waiting for this functionality for years, however in our butcher shop each item is wrapped, weighed and labeled before POS.

Thanks,

George

Message 5 of 40
Beta Member

I hope  that label barcode option  is in future for products that are pre weighted. 

That would be way more beneficial than just $700 scale without printer  connected to POS

Having retail store with more POS that would be  more efficient than every POS  having separate scale. 

Message 6 of 40

@Wyeth  we use the CAS computing scale in our stores.  It will be very helpful to have them connect directly to Square.  Please let me know when that feature is available!

Message 7 of 40

@Wyeth @saumaya  any updates for this scale?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 40
Square

Hey @roseH1  - could you share the CAS model you are using?

Message 9 of 40
Beta Member

When will this scale be back in stock? And is this scale compatible with a label printer?

Message 10 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hi @scottlyttle530!

I don't have a timeframe to give at this moment as to when it'll be back unfortunately. 

@Wyeth do you have any more insight into this? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 40
Square

Hi, @ashc and @scottlyttle530

I know the printer integration is a popular request that we're hoping to offer in the future, but I don't have a timeline at the moment. 

As to the scale availability — @saumaya, do you have any insights into when the scale will be back in stock? 

Thanks, team! 😀

Message 12 of 40
Square

We are looking at the October timeframe to restock. In the meantime you can order a Star scale directly from their website! 

Message 13 of 40
Beta Member

Thanks. Do you know if they have a compatible print for the scale that can print labels? 

Message 14 of 40
Square Community Moderator

Hi @scottlyttle530

See Wyeth's post above about printer integrations. It looks like it's not available at this time but a popular feature request. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 40
Beta Member

Hi! This is more of a procedural/tech question. Once you pair the scale to the iPad. After you set up everything, when you put something on the scale will you need to press a button on the scale to “send” it to the iPad? I’m hoping once you put something on the scale it will just populate the weight onscreen and add to your ticket. I’m trying to keep button pushing on the scale to a minimum. Thanks! So excited! 

Message 16 of 40
Alumni

@JenD17 @MichiganFarmsta- The scale we support - Star Micronics mG-S8200 -  transmits the weight of your items to the POS app and computes the price automatically, eliminating all that extra work and button pushing mentioned above. 

Specific to your other question @MichiganFarmsta, As far as using other unsupported scales, feel free to try them out (let us know how it goes), but there's a chance they may not work or may work intermittently since we haven't tested them and cannot guarantee compatibility. 

Justin
Message 17 of 40
Square

Message 18 of 40
Super Seller

I am happy to see you working this direction!  But I should hope that future scales integrate with square register.  

I would like a better explanation of work flow through the POS.  I want to know how this is going to increase speed and accuracy at check out.  Right now we have a price computing scale.  The work flow is as follows 1) Put item on scale 2) Select Price on scale (pre-programmed) 3) Move from scale to register 4) Select Item 5) Input variable price 6) Press Add or +. 7) Remove item for scale.  The current workflow requires several button pushes.

What is the quickest work flow that we will see with the integrated scale?  Is it possible to select the item and weigh it with one button push on item grid? 

This is a cute little scale.  But in a fast pace setting we need one with larger surface and more capacity.

Message 19 of 40
Square

Hey @MichiganFarmsta , we are working on bringing scale integration to the Register at the moment and will be supporting a USB scale with a larger pan and capacity. Look out for an update in the very near future!. 

We will not require you to push any buttons with this upcoming integration. You can simply create an Item in your Catalog with the price per pound (or grams, or kilos, etc) assigned. You can then weigh the Item during Checkout on the scale and we automatically calculate the item price based on the weight reading from the scale - no button pressing needed. 

Message 20 of 40
Beta Member

Hi! Is there an update to the scale with the USB connection and larger pan? I have an ipad pos at the moment and a bluetooth scale with my current software. Waiting for this next update to be able to drop them and switch from just processing with square to processing and pos software with all square. Thanks!

Message 21 of 40