Do you sell items by weight? With the recent decimal quantities update, you can now connect a supported scale to weigh items during the checkout flow on iOS devices and the cost will automatically calculate in the Square app. No more creating individual price points for each incremental weight measurement. Needless to say, we’re very excited about this update and the impact it can have for a lot of Square sellers! ⚖️
Note: At this time, we only support one scale — the Bluetooth connected mG-S8200 NTEP Scale, but we're working to integrate with additional scales in the future!
Check out our Decimal Quantities FAQs or Support Center article on how to sell items by weight.
So what do I need to do to get started?
The first thing is to set up your items by weight. Scales will not calculate for any unit type — only weight based units.
- Head to your online Square Dashboard.
- > Items > Units.
- Click Add Unit.
- Next, in order to sell an item by weight, make sure to choose a weight measure. You can choose one of the following units: Gram (g), Pound (lbs), or Ounce (oz).
- Once you set up the weight unit and precision, head to your Item Library > click Create an Item. Enter the item name, category, details, and make sure to select a unit type for weight.
- Once you’re all set, click Save.
Purchase Your Scale
To get started, the next step is to purchase the mG-S8200 NTEP Scale.
Keep in mind: We’re planning on integrating with additional scales in the future — keep your eye out for updates!
Connect Your Scale
To connect a Bluetooth scale to your device:
- Make sure your Bluetooth settings on your device are turned on.
- To check the connection, open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales.
- Tap the scale you’d like to pair.
Your settings will be automatically saved. If your scale ever becomes disconnected, your Point of Sale app will save your scale settings.
Note: Bluetooth scales can pair with only one mobile device at a time. To pair your Bluetooth scale with a mobile device, you'll first need to unpair it.
To unpair your scale:
- Open the Square Point of Sale app and tap the three horizontal lines on the navigation bar. Then tap Settings > Scales.
- You’ll see your connected scale — tap Disconnect to unpair.
Learn more about setting up your hardware with the Square app.
Checkout Through the Square App
Once you’ve created your items and connected a compatible scale, you’re ready to start selling:
- From the Square app, select an item from your library. If the item is variably priced, enter the item price and then the + symbol.
- Enter the weight manually, or place the item on your scale.
- Once the weight is calculated, tap Add.
- Complete the sale by processing your customer’s payment.
If the unit type is not compatible with your scale, you’ll need to enter the amount manually.
As always, thanks so much for reading! Leave comments or ask questions!
We don't sell any items based on weight, but I'll bet there are more than a few Register owners out there who do, and who won't be able to use the one scale you support so far (because the Register doesn't support Bluetooth.) Are you working to get a USB-based scale to work with the Register?
I'm sure that many, many Square users will be thrilled by the news that you're rolling out scales.
I am a Product Manager on Square Point of Sale and worked on this integration. We are definitely planning on bringing USB based scales to the Register in the near term. Stay tuned 🙂 !
Please let me know when there is a label printing scale that is compatible. We have been waiting for this functionality for years, however in our butcher shop each item is wrapped, weighed and labeled before POS.
I hope that label barcode option is in future for products that are pre weighted.
That would be way more beneficial than just $700 scale without printer connected to POS
Having retail store with more POS that would be more efficient than every POS having separate scale.