x

Square says my Android device is rooted BUT its not!

Square you need to allow all android devices that are not rooted which mine is not to have access to the contactless chip reader, I cant connect, 2 months old from the OPTUS store, i've checked the rooting of the device and it comes up with no root. 

You need to upgrade the software please because i'm not the only one getting this message out there. 

Message 1 of 70
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey there,

Thank you for your message! 

The message that you're seeing saying your device is rooted may be related to Developer Options being enabled on your phone. Apps to check the rooting of a mobile device also need to be uninstalled from your mobile device before you can connect a Square Reader.

If you've already disabled developer options, restart your phone, and have another go. I would also recommend checking your phone's compatibility on our page!

We are always working towards having more Android compatibility, but sometimes a mobile device does not meet all the security requirements to support card processing, and we need to be mindful of our customers' private card information being processed securely.

Cheers!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

how do i unroot my samsung s8+ so i can use square card reader

Message 64 of 70
Square Community Moderator

Hi @debanne,

I've merged your post to this thread, where we share some suggestions for fixing the rooted error message on your phone. Please let us know how you go with these troubleshooting tips!

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community ๐Ÿ‘‹ 

Message 65 of 70

I finally fixed my issue on a Xiaomi Note 10 Pro by enabling developer options, then switching on USB debugging and Instal via USB. After these steps, disable developer options. The reader then connected (without rebooting or doing anything else).

Message 66 of 70

Where do you enable developer options etc?

Message 67 of 70

Developer Options is disabled by default. To enable it, go to settings then keep clicking on MIUI version approx 8 times. A message will pop up on the screen saying you are about to become a developer. After it's enabled, go back to settings then search for 'developer options' as it's still hidden from the menu. Click on it and then continue with the steps in my previous post.

Message 68 of 70

Well so much for that - it has stopped working again after a reboot. This is a huge PITA.

It seems to work OK on my older Redmi Note 9. I'm wondering if the latest MIUI update caused this.

Can anyone confirm if they are using MIUI 13.0.15 with Square Reader? Would be helpful to know.

Thanks

Message 69 of 70

Same here now.  S22 Ultra, was working fine.  Then the square software updated the reader device. 

Now it won't connect and says my device is rooted which it's not.

Edit: I don't know how, but now my situation changed - now square works with the reader, but the app reports "press button on reader to reconnect".

Message 70 of 70