x

Square to Accept Debit card with Chip only

As both a Square user and DreamPayment I do prefer the Square but because it doesn't have the ability to accept debit cards with the chip only (not everyone is set up with tap) I had been forced to use DreamPayment more.  Today we received notification that DreamPayment will no longer be available as a mobile payment system so will need to go through a banking institute for their reader service.  Has there been any word on the Square offering chip debit payment in the very near future?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I have been doing the same thing (using both DreamPayments and Square Payments). I use DreamPayments for chip debit cards since square doesn’t offer this service, and I just received the same email about Dream discontinuing their service.  I would also like to know when or if square plans on getting a DEBIT chip reader... 

Message 2 of 10

Me three. 

Message 3 of 10

Now that Dream Payments is not available I am having to look for something different to accept Debit over $100. Is the Square working in this? With my luck I'll sign into a contract when the Square figures out the technology. I there any word on when this might be coming?

Message 4 of 10

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like there has been any word on Square accepting debit over $100... it has been a pretty big inconvenience for my clients since I used to have Dream Payments and there was no limit on debit with them...

This seems to have been an issue over the past few years with Square, so I’m not sure if they will change it any time soon.  😪

Message 5 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HairHeaven and @Elysian

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts around this. We know how important it is for our sellers to be able to accept more than $100 in debit payments, so it's definitely on the radar of our Payments team. 

I don't have any updates on this at the moment, but if anything changes I'll chime back in with an update. 

Message 6 of 10

I’m sorry, I don’t have time to wait. I ordered a different POS last week that can accommodate my business needs. I wish I had done more homework before buying your product. 

Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

HairHeaven, May I ask which POS device you went with?

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

Banks here in Canada routinely block new ideas so they can continue to charge high fees

So no surprise that Square is hobbled for use by small business with low cost products only.

Apple Pay is restricted to US only at this time, not sure about Google. Banks have email payments which are what many consultants are forced to use.

The Competition Act has been ignored for god knows how long.

Message 9 of 10

An update or roadmap for chip/PIN debit processing would be greatly appeciated.  Is there interest from Square to employ this, or there no pan for development?

Message 10 of 10