x

Square unable to verify I'm guessing my company or is it me?

Greetings,

I established my company a couple of months ago...everything just fine with the state and the city. However, I get to SQUARE and some verification process has failed. Are they asking questions about me or the business? Either way, it didn't go through and SQUARE advises they can't setup my account for another verification? Is this the case? Why can't I talk to someone on the phone about this? I believe SQUARE is making a mistake which is causing an issue when there shouldn't be. Do I just create another account? Should this account just be deactivated being it's useless at this point?

I firmly don't believe there isn't anything Square can't do about it? I'm not saying to override, I'm simply requesting to set the status to where I need to verify again and SQUARE to confirm whether I should be asking questions related to me or are they related to the business 'cause I believe that's the mistake in this case.

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @HRJConsulting, welcome to the Seller Community. 

I can provide some background around the activation process. So when signing up for an account you'll have four attempts to verify your identity to activate credit card processing. Once you've exhausted these attempts we cannot enable additional tries.

If you think you entered your information incorrectly you can try setting up another account with a different email address. Please keep in mind you will be entering your own information for this and not the businesses information. 

Currently we only provide phone support to seller accounts that have completed this verification step. 

If you still have questions please let me know. I would be happy to help out. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Best Answer

Hello @HRJConsulting, welcome to the Seller Community. 

I can provide some background around the activation process. So when signing up for an account you'll have four attempts to verify your identity to activate credit card processing. Once you've exhausted these attempts we cannot enable additional tries.

If you think you entered your information incorrectly you can try setting up another account with a different email address. Please keep in mind you will be entering your own information for this and not the businesses information. 

Currently we only provide phone support to seller accounts that have completed this verification step. 

If you still have questions please let me know. I would be happy to help out. 

Message 2 of 20

I have entered all my information correctly, however I have exhausted my 4 attempts.  My account is not approved.  I am over 18, and my identity information is all true/correct.  I am unable to receive a customer code for telephone contact since I am not an active seller yet.  I have reached out over facebook but they said to email for help.  I have emailed the Support Team several times over the past week and have received no reply.  Is there any way that someone can help me get in touch with someone on the Support Team to help activate my account?  Please help, this has been a very frustrating experience. 

Message 3 of 20

How exactly do we know if its not on your end because all of the information that was required of me I put i correctly. However i have and error code saying that you were having issues and would figure it out in a few minutes however. I have done this four times over the last week and its still given me the same issue.

Message 4 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Mccoythomason02 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Due to the public nature of The Seller Community we are unable to access specific account details through The Community. For assistance with your account, Feel free to send send a message using this contact form. Our support team will be happy to assist in resolving the matter on your account. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 20

I have entered all my personal information correctly (full legal name, home address, DOB, SIN and I am over 18 years old) however, Square continues to say "Account Not Approved" and I am unable to accept card payments.  

I have reached out to customer support but have received no reply.

I would really appreciate help to fix this issue as I really want to provide my business to Square!

Message 6 of 20

Hi there, @Maddie - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

So sorry for the trouble, here. It sounds like we weren’t able to approve you to accept card payments with Square. I know that re-entering your information can be frustrating, due to regulatory purposes we need to be able to verify certain information.

If you'd like to try again, we recommend trying these troubleshooting steps - they should be helpful in attempting to activate.

For record keeping purposes, I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also encountering this issue. 

Let me know if you have any questions in the mean time! 

Joe
Message 7 of 20

Hi joe! @Joe 

Thank you so much for replying. 

I’ve carefully entered my information again and I believe I have exhausted my attempts.

I have a banner that says my account is not approved. Is there any way to fix this? I am willing to call and sort it on the telephone but it says calling is “currently unavailable”

Message 8 of 20

Hi there, @Maddie - thanks for trying those steps out and reaching back out to let us know.

Unfortunately, it looks like we are not able to approve you for card processing at this time. We would recommend reaching out to another payment processor to support your business.

Thank you for your interesting in Square! Best of luck going forward.

Joe
Message 9 of 20

Hey @Maddie were you able to get this resolved? I'm running into the same issue, and it's absolutely insane to me that Square uses a 3rd party to verify people's identity and approve them for merchant processing, all while not being able to provide us with any information as to why this is happening. What a blow to small business owners during a pandemic to be told, "Take your business somewhere else because we don't need you." 

Square, I know you don't necessarily need our business, but when small businesses could really benefit from using your service, the least you could do is offer some transparent support about what's going on with their business.

Message 10 of 20

I’m also having this problem. How do we resolve this? Why won’t square let us be verified when putting in the correct information?

Message 11 of 20

I've had the same issue - my personal ssn/dob/address won't verify. Square support is useless and won't help determine the issue with their identity provider. I've asked multiple times and they sent me the same canned response. Then they will not reply to further questions and then completely ignore me. They have also said they "trust their identity provider above all else" and will not provide any further info and wished me well in finding another provider. LOL. This is terrible support and terrible policy from an obviously terrible company that turns away business for something that can be solved easily.  A diligent company with a proper support team and management would track down the issue or come up with an alternative solution. For instance, although it took 10 weeks, I had the same issue with Cash app - so the support team asked for a photo id upload of a drivers license and selfie to verify. Not sure if its the same support teams, but at least they had a way to keep a customer. I've double checked my credit reports and SSN for any identity theft and there is no issue. So it is obvious that there is some issue or erroneous data with Square's identity verification provider. It's really too bad Stripe is unwilling to help with this and should serve as a warning to others about the quality of support they may receive for other issues.

Message 12 of 20

I still haven't got this resolved. I had to sign up with Toast for our Coffee Shop. They come in a distant second to Square, but for anyone who needs help and can't get this solved, Toast will accept your request and take care of you with much better customer service than Square.

The downside is that Square has the absolute best hardware. Just sad that they have one of the most inefficient, unfair practices when it comes to verifying people to sell on their platform.

Message 13 of 20

I'm facing the same issue and it sucks to see that it was never solved, but I will be looking into Toast. Thank you for that comment.👍

Message 14 of 20

I couldnt agree with this more. I've tried several times now, and even created new accounts, just to verify my identity. I know I'm entering correct info, and I even ran a credit report to see what other personal information i may be entering incorrectly. It is clearly an issue on Square's end that they do not want to acknowledge or fix. It blows my mind all of the people on here experiencing the same issue, so they must be missing out on a lot of business they clearly do not care about.

Message 15 of 20

I am currently having the same issue with SQUARE!! Extremely disappointing that they don't deem our businesses to be worth their time or money! All of my details were entered correctly as well as multiple forms of ID. They are hopeless with their response and their troubleshoot document is an absolute waste of time!! 

Message 16 of 20

I'm having the same problem.  I've tried probably 20 times with multiple combinations after registering w/ multiple email addresses.  Its obiviously not my information...i was able to sign up and verify my identity with transunion and experian without issue as well. 

Message 17 of 20

Popping to say I am having the same problem. I'm an 18+ taxpaying US citizen who hasn't changed their name or moved.

I'm entering all valid info and Square will not verify my identity and will not help me further.

Their support is so polite yet unwilling to help. We're denied access to a business standard for a reason entirely beyond our control—it's baffling.

Message 18 of 20

verify options

Message 19 of 20

I've moved your message to a thread where someone had the same question, @Snowman27

Message 20 of 20