x

'Squareup.com/store/heartheartstudios' not forwarding to Weebly URL 'heartheartstudios.square.site'

I've fully switched over to the Weebly website platform as recommended in our Dashboard site editor.

Everything I'm reading said this redirect will automatically happen once I publish my Weebly page, but it's not.  Did I do something wrong?

I was expecting that if anyone had older links directly to the base page at Squareup.com/store/heartheartstudios that they would be forwarded to the Weebly page. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Long story, short...we had 2 locations in Squareup.com account settings.  When we selected "Go to your new online store" button in our Online Store options, it typically (based on what I was told on the phone) would create a redirect from our old Squareup.com/store/ domain, to the new Weebly domain. 

However, since we had 2 locations, this caused it not to work and the redirect was not created.  

Having no option in the Squareup.com interface to create a redirect for our /store/ domain page, I had to put up a page which says "We've moved!" along with a URL for our domain which IS pointed to the new Weebly domain.  This really only applies to anyone who might have created a Favorites, or Bookmark, of our Squareup.com page directly without going through our domain name which is 301 routed to Weebly now.

30 minutes on the phone to find this answer.  So I hope it can be of help to anyone who might run into the same problem.  

It would be nice, whipped cream, cherry on top, if I could create a redirect for my Squareup.com/store/ URL to my Weebly domain home page, but I guess I'll settle for pretty awesome pretty much free shopping cart software!!!  Thanks Squareup!

Message 2 of 12
Admin

Hi @Rmuenks! Thanks for your post!

Your old Square Online Store should automatically redirect your customers to your new Weebly site. To make sure this happens, there are "Get Started" steps here that walk through how to set up your new site (and make sure the redirect works.)

So, it should be redirecting automatically. But if that's not the case, you can always contact Weebly support so they can see why that wouldn't be happening.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 3 of 12

Yeah, I did contact Weebly support and they talked to an Engineer at Squareup who confirmed an issue exists where if you have more than 1 location in Squareup, it’s not creating the 301 redirect from the Squareup side to Weebly.  I was told my options were to either put a “We’ve moved!” message on the Squareup site, or turn off my Squareup site and allow users to get a 404 error if they used any bookmarked links which go directly to that site.

My domain redirects to the Weebly site, but I was trying to fix the fact that the Squareup site did not.

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Ah, got it @Rmuenks. That's actually something I didn't know! So thanks for sharing the responses you got from our teams. Hopefully it can help others in the future if they run into the same issue. Yay for teamwork!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 5 of 12

Hi Nina, I'm curious, when you say having 2 locations caused this problem, were you using both locations through the online store somehow? I have 4 locations via Square for my service work, but I have a single separate online store that is only found through one of those "locations."  Do you think I will run into the same problem, when I am forced to migrate my Legacy original square online store to the new weebly platform? I'm super nervous about this process because I'm really bad at online site set up - I have a custom domain and am already assuming that the forced migration will mean that my store could be down for up to two days while the servers update to the new DNS settings/new IP address. I haven't been able to get any answers from square about what that process will look like when the deadline hits next week.

Message 6 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @serafaery The old store will remain up while your DNS changes go into effect, so your store won’t be down during the transition; some people will see the old and some will see the new until the DNS change fully propagates and everyone sees the new SOS site.

Using just one location with a single online store won’t be a problem with migrating over, though. This is just for multiple locations and it will just take a little bit of time to transition everything over. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 12

Just so everyone is clear, we had a Squareup account with two locations.  

Location 1 was a non-website location used exclusively at art shows to manage inventory separate from our website inventory.  

Location 2 was our website location.

Both locations were registered within our single Squareup account and we could switch locations in our mobile apps quickly and effectively depending on where we were, or how we wanted an transaction to pull from our separated inventories.

the problem arose when I made the decision to enable the Weebly site and begin developing that site to replace our Squareup site, it did NOT perform a forwarding to the Weebly site, which Engineers confirmed as being a problem as a result of having multiple locations registered within my single Squareup account.

So, we had to put up a basic Squareup page, replacing our old Squareup page, for Location 2 which points to the Weebly page, and the users have to click that link in order to get to our Weebly page, also Location 2 now, if they have the old Squareup page BOOKMARKED.

My Domain is forwarded to the new Weebly page, but again, there was a downtime period during DNS propagation.  So, we decided to keep the Squareup page available for purchases until the Domain and DNS changes fully propagated.

I do think the issue/bug/problem when moving to the Weebly site is that Squareup is not creating the forwarding entries in their DNS to redirect anyone attempting to navigate to the old Squareup sites to send them to the Weebly site, particularly in cases where a Squareup account has multiple locations within the same account.  That remains the problem for us and anyone that does go directly to our old Squareup page has to click the link we left there on the empty page, to go to our new Weebly page.

i hope that helps clarify what the precise problem was for us.  We adopted the Weebly website early because it offers much more than the Squareup page did as far as the editor goes, etc. but it didn’t come without hassles like additional image uploading being split from Square’s, and the defaulting to “every location” when you enter items to inventory through Weebly.

My gut feeling is that this integration, Square and Weebly, was rushed without a full understanding of how Square accounts handle multiple locations and allows users to manage inventories across multiple locations, or both locations.  

My hope is that it will improve over time as they work out some of the kinks and as they become more aware of issues from detailed posts like this.

Message 8 of 12

Having an identical issue. I have two sites (one strictly used for farmers markets - not for online sales). But its not automatically forwarding. What a pain in the ass.

Jennifer

Message 9 of 12
Admin

Hi @jkleffner. What's the URL for your site?

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Same issue! With the "Get onboard with the new Square Online Store" email threatening to automatically move the site, I was shocked that both old sites don't redirect to the new site. 

The email said "

IMPORTANT NOTICE

On August 10th, 2020, your sites will be automatically migrated to the new Square Online Store. After this migration, you will no longer be able to access your previous online stores." 

I built the new site so there wasn't a poor migration, but the site for our shop does not redirect. What is going to happen on August 10th????

I can't go onto the old site to put up a "We've Moved!" banner. 

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey @NatesCoffee,

Sorry for the confusion here. If you've already made your own site in Square's Online Store it will probably migrate whatever sites you still have and make additional sites for those.

It won't change anything aside from the old URLs are going to re-direct to those sites and not what you already made if that makes sense.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12