x

Tax rule for dining options

Posting this message to see if someone has the same issue or would like to ask Square to offer this feature.
I think it will be great to be able to apply the same tax rule to 2 different dining options.
For example in my restaurant we currently have 3 dining options: FOR HERE, TO GO and PICKUP; to go is reserved for walk-in customer and pickup is for phone orders . Problem is in California sales of cold food to go is not taxable, so at this time I can’t apply the correct tax rule for PICKUP Oerter because Square doesn’t allow to apply the same tax rule to different dining options, please see screenshot attached, can't select more than one option.

Has anybody else encountered the same problem? How did you managed that?

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 2.59.36 PM.png

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@OldAmerica You would set up the tax to first apply to all items.  Then you set up a tax rule that when "TO GO"  This will remove the tax you are not suppose to charge on cold food to go.

You can have multiple tax rules if you need to remove more than 1 tax type.  So one would be named to go no tax  the second would be pick up no tax etc.

2021-07-09.jpg

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

@OldAmerica You would set up the tax to first apply to all items.  Then you set up a tax rule that when "TO GO"  This will remove the tax you are not suppose to charge on cold food to go.

You can have multiple tax rules if you need to remove more than 1 tax type.  So one would be named to go no tax  the second would be pick up no tax etc.

2021-07-09.jpg

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3

It works, thanks!

Message 3 of 3