x

Checking out via Appointments; How to add sales tax

I currently use the Appointments app to allow my customers to book online.  I'd like to use the Appointments app to check the customers out but the sales tax doesn't show up and I can't find a way to add it.  Does anyone know how to do this?  My sales tax shows up just fine in the regular POS app. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @SabrinaM,

Thanks for surfacing this and welcome to the seller community. Are you still encountering this issue? I just gave it a run-through on my test account and was able to check out with a service, add products with taxes, and the sales tax was automatically included with the final total.

If you're still encountering any trouble, I would suggest giving these troubleshooting tips a go. You can also add sales tax to an item or service once you're redirected to the Point of Sale app by selecting the customer at the top of the checkout screen > tap the product/service needing tax added > toggle on any appropriate taxes > select Save > the tax should be included appropriately.

For more general information on this, have a look at our Support Center: Check Out With The Square Appointments App

Hope this helps clear things up! Please let us know if you have any further questions or encounter any errors. Happy to have another look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @SabrinaM,

Thanks for surfacing this and welcome to the seller community. Are you still encountering this issue? I just gave it a run-through on my test account and was able to check out with a service, add products with taxes, and the sales tax was automatically included with the final total.

If you're still encountering any trouble, I would suggest giving these troubleshooting tips a go. You can also add sales tax to an item or service once you're redirected to the Point of Sale app by selecting the customer at the top of the checkout screen > tap the product/service needing tax added > toggle on any appropriate taxes > select Save > the tax should be included appropriately.

For more general information on this, have a look at our Support Center: Check Out With The Square Appointments App

Hope this helps clear things up! Please let us know if you have any further questions or encounter any errors. Happy to have another look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 12

Thanks so much for getting back to me!  I'll try these ideas out tomorrow when I'm at work.  I was still having the issue as of a few hours ago but will try your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

Message 3 of 12

I’m using the Square appointment iOS app and it’s missig tax from there. When you checkout with a service, it does not have any tax options. I don’t see in the web appointments setup area an option to make a service taxable as wel.  In WA state, some servies are taxed by law and how do we do this on Square?  

https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/services-subject-sales-tax

Message 4 of 12
Admin

Hello @SkySim360! With the Appointments app you can add taxes to a service at checkout. Currently it's not possible to save a tax to a service, so you do have to manually add the tax each time.

First, you'll need to create a tax (if you haven't already):

1. From the Appointments app tap the three lines in the upper left.
  2. Tap Settings > tap Taxes.
  3. Tap the + icon in the upper right.
  4. Enter the details for your specific tax > tap Save.

Then to apply a tax to a service when checking out your customer:

1. Select an Appointment from your calendar.
  2. Tap Review and Check Out.
  3. Tap on the name of a service and tap on the toggle next to the applicable tax.
  4. Tap Save > Charge.
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 12

Do you know when taxing services will be built in?

Message 6 of 12

Hey @SkySim360, I'm stepping in for Helen here. Currently we don't have a timeline on when this feature might be available. We are still in the process of collecting feedback. 

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the reply buy why would you be collecting feedback for somthing like this? That makes no sense.  We have to include sales tax becase its state Law here in WA and im sure in other states as well.  This should be moved into the queue and schduled.  Why is dev so slow to add anything to the appointment app side of things?

Message 8 of 12
Alumni

Thanks for sharing your valid concern. Feature requests can take a long time because there are a lot of them! I understand that this is a big blocker for you so I'll be sure to pass on your additional feedback. 

Message 9 of 12

I agree. Why is this not done yet? It is the easiest thing in the world to have a boolean setting and then apply an X tax rate or not depending on it during checkout. A programmer could have it done and tested in a couple hours.

So, basically, with a manual checkout option taxes can be added but if customers schedule and pay online up front they are getting illegal tax free services and we either need to increase our prices and call it tax included, or we need charge them again later manually to collect the tax. Either solution is amateurish. 

And then there is reporting, in either method tax isn't going to be recorded and reported in Square appropriately. So we will have to back it out and change it, and it may result in you reporting inaccurate details on 1099Ks to the IRS, which is probably a federal crime. I doubt Jack Dorsey wants to do time over this issue, maybe better to just fix it?

Message 10 of 12

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Tax

Is it possible to have taxable products and Untaxable services in the same transaction?

Message 11 of 12
Admin

Hi @SalonVibe! I've moved your post to this thread which should help. Services aren't taxed by default, and you can add tax on the item level (i.e. to a product) or at checkout. Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 12