x

The gas pump checked my square card for $60 and i only got $9 in gas. Can i get this removed?

The gas pump checked my square card for $60 and i only got $9 in gas. Can i get this removed?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @GruvyGraphics 👋 I'm happy to share some more information with you on this topic.

Some businesses (like gas stations and hotels) will place a temporary charge on your payment card. Since pumping gas is an open-end purchase, gas stations will typically pre-authorize your payment card for a larger amount to ensure that your card has enough funds to cover the amount of gas you’ll leave with. This pre-authorization is typically $100.

This pre-authorization happens the moment you insert your card and will still be reflected on your statement temporarily even if you ultimately decided to not get gas or the card gets declined. These pending authorizations can take up to 9 days to clear. In the future, you can pay inside at the register for a specific amount instead of at the pump - as you mentioned. This should prevent a temporary pre-authorization from being placed on your Square Debit Card.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🌟

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Hello @Lance97 thanks for your post. I am unsure if/how this hold will be removed on your card. You can contact support to get a definitive answer on this, but going forward with any bank issued debit card I'd be cautious using it at gas stations or restaurants...any place that puts a temp "hold" on your card when you initiate a purchase.

Usually if you are using a credit card, this kind of hold will not interrupt your spending by restricting the use of your available funds, but when it comes to a debit card that is funded by a checking type of account (vs. credit acct), any kind of large hold can impact your balance and spending power. Just something to keep in mind. The same goes for prepaid Visa/Mastercard type gift cards...certain businesses will place a hold and then you will not be able to spend all of your available balance.

I hope you'll be able to find a solution to this issue.

Message 2 of 7

Its been 2 days and I still have a $100 hold on my card from a gas station. How do I get it removed?

Message 3 of 7

For anyone that has this issue the charge fell off at midnight. 

Message 4 of 7

Wow.   Im waiting now.   They stole $75 from me and i only got $9

Message 5 of 7

ok I'll wait til 12. I know to walk inside and pay the exact amount when using square or Cashapp from now on. This only happens when you pay at the pump.

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @GruvyGraphics 👋 I'm happy to share some more information with you on this topic.

Some businesses (like gas stations and hotels) will place a temporary charge on your payment card. Since pumping gas is an open-end purchase, gas stations will typically pre-authorize your payment card for a larger amount to ensure that your card has enough funds to cover the amount of gas you’ll leave with. This pre-authorization is typically $100.

This pre-authorization happens the moment you insert your card and will still be reflected on your statement temporarily even if you ultimately decided to not get gas or the card gets declined. These pending authorizations can take up to 9 days to clear. In the future, you can pay inside at the register for a specific amount instead of at the pump - as you mentioned. This should prevent a temporary pre-authorization from being placed on your Square Debit Card.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🌟

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7