x

Time Card - Hourly rate based on shift position

We own a food truck and have employees that are paid varied amounts based on their role that day.  For example:  Window service $10ph, food prep $12ph, truck manager $16ph.  So if a person works prep in the morning and then window service in the afternoon is there a way to have them clock in and out while recording the proper hourly rate of pay based on their role?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.  We currently have to use the "additional pay" column to input the correct amount for the separate roles.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Time Card - Hourly rate based on shift position

Thank you for your patience, @SatayHut. I have more details to share.

The ability to enter multiple hourly pay rates for your employees is still unavailable at this time.

As a workaround, you can pay your employees for hours worked at a different rate by calculating the blended hourly rate each pay period and paying all of the hours worked at the blended rate.

To calculate the blended hourly rate:

(Hourly rate 1 x Hours worked at rate 1) + (Hourly rate 2 x Hours worked at rate 2) / [Total hours worked] = Blended rate

As an example, if an employee works 10 hours at $10.00/hr and 20 hours at $13.00/hour, the blended hourly rate would be $12.00. [($10.00 x 10) + ($13.00 x 20)] / [30] = $12.00. On the Run Payroll screen, you would enter $12.00 for the rate and 30 regular hours.

Find more information on Square Payroll in our Support Center:

Hope this helps for now. Rest assured that I've shared your experience with the proper team members. Let us know if anything else comes up.

3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hi @SatayHut, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up.

To my knowledge, the ability to automate different pay rates for the same employee based on shift position throughout the day isn't available with Square Payroll at this time. Let me take a deeper dive into this with our Payroll Team and we'll circle back as soon as we have more details. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4
Admin

Thank you for your patience, @SatayHut. I have more details to share.

The ability to enter multiple hourly pay rates for your employees is still unavailable at this time.

As a workaround, you can pay your employees for hours worked at a different rate by calculating the blended hourly rate each pay period and paying all of the hours worked at the blended rate.

To calculate the blended hourly rate:

(Hourly rate 1 x Hours worked at rate 1) + (Hourly rate 2 x Hours worked at rate 2) / [Total hours worked] = Blended rate

As an example, if an employee works 10 hours at $10.00/hr and 20 hours at $13.00/hour, the blended hourly rate would be $12.00. [($10.00 x 10) + ($13.00 x 20)] / [30] = $12.00. On the Run Payroll screen, you would enter $12.00 for the rate and 30 regular hours.

Find more information on Square Payroll in our Support Center:

Hope this helps for now. Rest assured that I've shared your experience with the proper team members. Let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

This feature is what is preventing me from using Square payroll. Please do this enhancement.

Message 4 of 4