x

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

Appointments Feature Request: Disable tipping on items - calculate tip based on cost of service(s)

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Tips should only be calculated on the service part of a sale, not retail

We are a service based business. We provide a service and our customers tip us on that service. But we also sell retail (skincare, lifestyle) items that customers should not tip on.

When our customer comes in for a 90min facial and during check out decides to buy some recommended products also their balance can jump form $130 to $280 very easily. So we now have a $280 balance with services and products, the customer swipes their card and the tip screen suggests a few % options..

Scenario 1, Wrong - 20% tip on total sale

$280 + 20% ($56) gratuity = $336

Scenario 2, Correct - 20% tip on Service only

$130 service + 20% ($26) service gratuity = $156 + $150 retail = $306

Unless we ring an extra transaction to separate retail from service sales, our customer gets ripped off. We make more money, Square makes more money but our customer got ripped off by $30 in Scenario 1.

The solution we previously offered to Square was to let items be "tip(able)" the same way items are currently "tax(able)"

Any thoughts from the Square team?

88 Comments
Beta Member

this would be super convenient for both myself and my clients!

Square Community Moderator

I definitely see how having Items themselves be "Tippable", so I'll forward this over to our Product Team. 

One thing that might help you in the short term would be to simply allow customers to select any tip amount.

You can set each of the tip percentages at 0%, this way customers will be given the option to leave a completely custom tip amount or choose no tip.

same issue any news

Square

@studio - We don't have any updates on this feature as of now. Appreciate the feedback, as well as your patience! 

Yes same problem..any news?  It would be nice to have a transaction for service where they select the tip, then add on their retail items, adding the sales tax for retail only, then getting a total for one swipe.

Square

No updates to share at this time, @Fhwellness. You can check out Kpay's post about how feedback is shared here at Square. We'll be sure to update this thread should this feature become available.

We are having this same problem, I have subscribed to this thread for updates on a solution! Thnx

Looks like there's been an update added for this issue, Thanks! Cant wait to try it out!

An update was mentioned but I still see no option for solving this issue in the current Android square register App (as of 6/25/17).

We also would like suggested tips to only be calculated on services, not products in a transaction.

Hey @uss, I'm not aware of any update or change to this. Maybe @GroveandBaker can share what they found?