x

Two SKU's for a Single Product - Stocking SKU and Selling SKU

Anyone has this use case?

I want to have two sku's per product. I want to have one sku for stocking an item and a different one for selling. The reason for this for some items we sell using decimals quantities. e.g. We process new inventory using a large box or packages (which has 1 barcode) containing smaller packages / boxes (each with their own barcodes). We want to reduce error and inventory mismatches by making it easy for the stocker and for the cashier by scanning a single barcode.

Obviously we can scan the individual packages and change the quantity during stocking time but that is not ideal and error prone.

Without 2 skus it's going to be harder for the stocker or cashier.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hello @Woodcrest!

Hmm, you can add a different SKU to item variations (click Add Variation to set up an item varation) but there isn't a way to have one SKU for stocking and a separate one selling. You could have separate items for each: one for the large box and another for the smaller items — but the problem with that is that large box inventory won't decrement as you sell your smaller products! Have you looked at Square for Retail? It is a paid app but it includes Purchase Order Management and Inventory Plus which might help.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

I haven't looked at Square for Retail, we probably won't be able to make it work in terms of cost. And it's unclear if it even solves this problem.

thanks.

Message 3 of 3