x
Admin

*UPDATE!* Square Stand Update Now Available 13.2

During beta testing of the upcoming iOS 13.1 update, which is planned for release on September 24, Square discovered an issue that might affect connectivity between Square Stand and iPads running this new version of iOS. We’ve raised the issue to Apple and they are working on a resolution.

At this time we’re recommending that sellers do not update their iPads to iOS 13.1.

If you have already updated to iOS 13.1, and happen to be experiencing issues with connectivity, we recommend the following troubleshooting tips:

1. Close the Square app.
  2. Remove your iPad from Square Stand.
  3. Reopen the Square app and then reinsert your iPad into Square Stand.

Thank you for your understanding as we work with Apple on a resolution.

We will post updates on this thread as they become available, and will follow up with an additional email message once the issue is fully resolved. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 1 of 42
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

*UPDATE!*: Square Stand Update Available- Can be Updated to 13.2

Square Stand: iOS 13.2 is Now Available!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Square Stand: iOS 13.2 is Now Available!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 38 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

I do not see an "auto update" option (or any other update location even) on our Ipad Square. So, we are safe?

Message 2 of 42
Admin

@Gomer You should be able to turn off automatic updates from the Settings app of your iPad:

1. From your iPad open the Settings app
  2. Scroll down > tap iTunes & App Store.
  3. Under Automatic Downloads toggle Updates OFF.

To see which version of iOS you're running on your iPad:

1. From your iPad open the Settings app
  2. Tap General > then tap About.
  3. You'll see a list of details - the number to the right of Software Version is the iOS version running on your iPad.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 42

Thank you so much. After I posted the question, I realized I was looking in Square and not Ipad settings. Guess I hadn't had enough coffee.

Message 4 of 42
Admin

You're welcome! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 42

@Helen The only problem with turning off automatic iOS updates is that Apple’s iOS system update prompts (which occur even after automatic updates are turned off) are intentionally designed to trick the user into accepting a system upgrade, even if the user does not want to update the OS.

An employee who is only using an iPad to clock into their shift can easily and inadvertently trigger an OS update which can severely damage the Square POS app. That is just not right.

I believe that Apple has the ability to lock down OS updates with better control for their enterprise customers. Does Apple not realize that Square businesses are enterprise customers?

Message 6 of 42

@zder Totally agree and this is downside to using a consumer device like iPad instead of an embedded/dedicated system.  I wish Apple provided more ways to "dumb down" an iPad to be more of a mission-focused device.

Message 7 of 42

We have same issue as mentioned by @zder . It happend for IOS 11 and 12 upgrade.

Message 8 of 42
Admin

I hear you @zder @cbenson! As soon as we have any more information about when this will be resolved and which iOS version includes the fix we'll share it here. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 42

We're lucky in that we have only 3 employees and the Ipad is dedicated so it is easier for us to be aware of such problems.

Message 10 of 42

Has this issue been resolved?I saw an update for the square app.

Message 11 of 42
Admin

No this hasn't been resolved yet @MaribellasHair so we're still recommending that you don't update the iOS software on your iPad to iOS 13.1.

You can update the Square Point of Sale app in the meantime. The latest version of the Point of Sale app is 5.22.1 and should be available in the App Store from today. (Don't update your iPad software to iOS 13.1 - that notification probably appear under the 'General' section of your iPad's settings.) 

Send me a private message if you have any other questions, or call our team!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 42
Admin

Unfortunately no, it doesn't @Sawdustman so we're still recommending that you don't update the software on your iPad yet.

We'll post here you as soon as we have confirmation about which iOS version you can update to. Really appreciate your patience in the meantime.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 13 of 42

Does todays 13.1.1 update fix this problem?

Message 14 of 42

Is iPadOS 13.1.1 the same as iOS 13.1? Can we update to this one?

Message 15 of 42
Admin

@JC23 @Sawdustman I'm sorry but this issue has not been resolved with iether 13.1.1 or 13.1.2.

We're continuing to work with Apple to fix this as soon as possible. We'll post here when this has been fully resolved, and to let you know which version of iOS you can update your iPad too. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 16 of 42

I just wanted to mention.  I did update my iPad to the last iPadOS version.  At first It was click on and off that the stand was charging, but not saying it was connected. However, I just simply turn my iPad off and restarted it and I have not had any problems.

Message 17 of 42

Well we have another update to iOS today. Any help fixing it on this one.

ios 13.1.2

Message 18 of 42

Does this affect the mag stripe readers?  We are having issues with both of our readers.  We've tried in on a phone running iOS 12 and they seemed to be having the same issue as us.  We haven't tested it yet on an Android phone that I know of, but that's the next test.

We tested on a couple of Android devices and had the same problem.  Seems odd that all of our stripe readers would stop working at the same time.

Message 19 of 42
Admin

@WG_Foundation I'm sorry to hear about your readers. These magstripe reader troubleshooting steps should help but if you can't use your reader with any device please don't hesitate to give us a call and a member of our CS team can take a closer look.

The connection issues mentioned is this thread only affects sellers using the Square Stand and with an iPad. Note: We're still advising sellers not to update their iPads to iOS 13.1. or 13.1.1 or iOS 13.1.2 if possible - thanks again to everyone for your patience with this!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 20 of 42
Beta Member

Has this been rectified?  Also, the printer no longer prints a receipt - just spits out about 1/2 inch of paper.  

Message 21 of 42