x
Beta Member

Update Invoice without Sending

It would be nice to be able to udpate an invoice without it automatically sending an update to the customer. For things such as adding or removing scheduled reminders, if I do that after I have already sent the invoice, the only way to adjust it is for the invoice to automatically send to the customer. It would be nice to have control over notifications that are sent to customers instead of Square automatically sending the customer an email with any update I make.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hi @mike109! Welcome to the Seller Community. 😀

Hear you loud and clear on this feature request! Especially if you're constantly needing to make changes to invoices, it can be a lot for the customer to keep receiving email notifications.

Thanks so much for shedding some light on this topic. We'll be sure to bring up this feature request with our Product Team!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Hi @nika. I saw that creating an estimate now follows a multi-step process, from entering the customer info to entering items, and then finally a send piece. Do you know if they plan to roll this same process over to Invoices?

We had previously provided feedback that we have employees that sometimes accidentally send invoices before they are ready because the 'Save as Draft' and 'Send' buttons are right next to each other. The new multi-step process when creating Estimates would be a huge help with this if it was applied to invoices as well. Since it separates out the 'send' part into a separate step, the ability to send an invoice accidentally is almost none.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Thanks for resurfacing that feedback @mike109! I checked in with our Invoices team and they mentioned that they're looking into design and creation flow of our invoices. I'm not 100% certain when a change will roll out or what it'll even look like at this point, but I did share your feedback with them to take note. 

Thanks again for sharing!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 4 of 9

@mike109 

@nika I have same issue, and discovered in testing this work around that the period(.) cannot be entered into a customer email address!  In any case the ingenius but awkward work around is to edit customers email address to one of your own or add -disabled@

The other workaround I found is put email elsewhere in notes for reference only, Never send by email but always set Notify Manually and send link to customer manually either via email or text. 

@nika Btw Square: It sucks not to be able to send an invoice link directly by text from invoice screen, but alas same problem would prevail--way too many notifications going to customer each time invoice is tweaked a little.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Thanks for jumping in, @bacomputer!

Looking for a little more clarification here to make sure I'm understanding. When you say that periods cannot be entered into a customer email address- are you saying that your invoices aren't sending if the customer's email includes a period?

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 6 of 9

Sorry been away.  I cannot recall exact text I was entering for an email address, but I did note that the pattern for email entry validation is unpredictable.   A few things I tried threw errors, and others did not.

abc.123@gmail.com   ok

123.@gmail.com error

123.123@gmail.com ok

123..123@gmail.com error

123__123@gmail.com ok

So it is not clear exactly how the period is being treated differently than the class of alphanumerics and underscore.

Message 7 of 9
Admin

@bacomputer That is really strange that our Directory isn't allowing you to save those email addresses. I reached out to our Directory Product Team and they said that you definitely shouldn't be having an issue with saving email addresses with that format. 

You may want to go ahead and reach out to our Customer Success Team to see if they can take a look into this with you and replicate what you're seeing.

Hopefully they're able to get to the root of the problem!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 8 of 9

@nika Hi Nika,  Its been a while but I just ran into a related issue.  When creating an Estimate, email address is required on a new customer record screen.   Scenario is new customer calls, I get first name, and phone number. Getting email is tedious over phone so often do not ask.  I create estimate, then must enter something for email.  I discovered entering _____@z------z.com meets the email field requirement, and allows me to have a blank on the form for customer to fill.

Oddly however, I noticed ____@z____z.com does not work.  So programming here is a little quirky.  A documented field specification would be nice.

In any case, the real problem is that the email address field is required for making an estimate.  Many people prefer getting their estimates|invoices by text instead of email, so email should be optional.  I've considered entering phone#@[carrier].com  for those numbers that are on a carrier that supports email to text, but that is difficult to determine and square would try to send html to their text.  Not a great idea.  Seems Square needs an outbound texting service here.  

Message 9 of 9