x
rsklar

Re: Visa and AMEX gift cards keep getting declined --- SOLUTION

Visa Gift Card with more than enough funds was declined 3 times today by Sqare.  We are an ice cream shop so I am sure we are an OK Type of establishment.  Why has square not responded to this issue with some actual helpful guidence?

Also I notice that you state to send the transaction infroamtion to Customer Service.  Where would the declined transactions be?  Not in the transaction log, I downloaded the transactions to Excel and they are no in the spreadsheet.  No report for declined transaction. ???

Message 11 of 17
VanKalkerFarms Super Seller

you can see the declined and canceled transactions in your Transaction Status Dashboard

Message 12 of 17
rsklar

Where?  I PUT in my post that it is not there.  Tell me specifically where.

Message 13 of 17
VanKalkerFarms Super Seller

Click on my link above, and it will take you to the spot in your account. It's in the Sales section under Transaction Status.

Message 14 of 17
rsklar

The issue here is not that I can see the declines, but rather why are they declining?  A Visa Gift Card with plenty of funds loaded should be able to be used at any location that accepts Visa.  So Why is Square declining these transaction?

Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
traderjakz

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I am having problems accepting Pre Paid Visa cards

My employees are having trouble when customers want to use Pre Paid Visas and other major credit cards that are Pre Paid. Sometimes they can hand key them and they go through and sometimes it continuously declines them. Please advise.

Message 16 of 17
Admin

Re: I am having problems accepting Pre Paid Visa cards.

@traderjakz I've added your post to this thread where some other sellers have experienced this issue.

A prepaid card can be declined for a few different reasons:

1. There isn't enough money on the card to complete the transaction. See Tom's Best Answer for more details on using split tender in this scenario.
  2. The cardholder hasn't registered their card (usually gift cards) - and ZIP code - with the card issuer. This is especially important if you're trying to manually enter the card information and need to enter a ZIP. 
  3. The card-issuer declines the card payment for another reason and that reason is not shared wtih Square. 

In each case the customer should contact the card-issuer directly for more information about why the payment was declined. 

Message 17 of 17