x
Beta Member

WHY can't we turn off auto-sending of receipts?

Why is it we cannot turn off the feature by which Square automatically sends a receipt to a customer if there is an email associated with their credit card?

We own two small chocolate shops around Madison, WI and this "feature" causes huge headaches for us.  I have fielded calls, emails, and numerous complaints from customers who bought a gift for their spouse/significant other, and when they made the purchase on their joint account, a receipt was automatically sent to their spouse/significant other, ruining the surprise of the gift and telling the person exactly what their gift is.

I have complained to Square and requested a setting by which you can say "Always prompt for receipt" but I find it unlikely they will make the change based solely on my request.  If you think this is an issue, please chime-in.  Have you had problems with this?  How hae you addressed them?  Have you figured out any workarounds (beyond using a different card/cash/check)?  Do you have any other thoughts?  Would you like Square to add this capability to turn the feature off?  Please let your voice be heard!

Message 1 of 112
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 112
111 REPLIES 111
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

Message 2 of 112
Beta Member

If you have an email address or any contact information and could PM it to me or post it, I would appreciate it.  I was told the same thing when I called, so I need to connect with someone who can make this happen.  Thank-you so much!

Message 3 of 112
Beta Member

Thank-you so much Howard, you're a lifesaver!  Have a great holiday season!

Message 4 of 112

I'm having the same issue and would love to get the auto email receipts turned off!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 5 of 112

I own a flower shop and have the same issue with a spouse ordering flowers and the receipt is automatically sent ruining the suprise of the upcoming delivery.  I would like to have at the end of the transaction the option to either print, email or text rather than an automatic email when there is an email address already in the square system.  For those that this has happened in the past we now offer to run the card at the time of delivery but then end up paying more in fees for manually entering the card rather then being able to process it in person when the order is placed.  

Message 6 of 112

Hello @mleinsc, I've gone ahead and disabled this feature on your account. I hope it helps with Valentines Day coming up. If you have any questions please let me know! I would be happy to help out. 🙂

Message 7 of 112

Thank you Chad!   I very much appreciate your help in this matter.   We love to see the smiles on their face when we deliver a beautiful bouquet and was able to suprise them.  🙂

Message 8 of 112

Hi Chad, I would greatly appreciate your help with the same issue.  I have a smoothie shop inside of a gym and see the same customers day after day.  Most of my customers store a card on file and purchase something from me daily.  I don't want to overload them with emails every week.  I would love the option at the end of the sale to print, text, or email the receipt...also an option to have no receipt.  Any help would appreciated!

Message 9 of 112

Hey @KStrong, I made the change on your account. Please let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

Message 10 of 112

thank you so much for your help Chad...it's working great!

Message 11 of 112

Hi Chad,

We are a chocolate shop with the same issue re: ruining a surprise.  Can you please change o ur account to cancel automatic email receipts?

Thanks,

Rose

Message 12 of 112
Alumni

Hi @roseH1 - I was just able to turn off this permission, so all your receipts should prompt for an email address first now!

Message 13 of 112

Thank you.

Message 14 of 112

@ChadWe were told a year ago that you had turned off auto receipts for our account, but customers are still receiving them.  Can you please turn off auto send and confirm that is has been done?  Thank you.

Message 15 of 112
Alumni

Hey @roseH1 - I've confirmed the change has been made, but if you're still having issues, please let us know.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 16 of 112

@katieand Please turn off auto send of receipts for us, they are still being sent and causing problems with our customers.

Message 17 of 112

deleted and reposted at end of thread!!

Message 18 of 112

Hi Chad, I had several transactions today that still sent email receipts without asking if I wanted to.  Is there something on my end that I need to do to make the changes you made work?  Thanks!

Message 19 of 112

Hello @mleinsc, I'm sorry about this! It looks like it didn't save the change from last night. I just made the change again and confirmed it saved. You should be set now. 🙂

Message 20 of 112

Thank you!!  

Message 21 of 112