x
Beta Member

WHY can't we turn off auto-sending of receipts?

Why is it we cannot turn off the feature by which Square automatically sends a receipt to a customer if there is an email associated with their credit card?

We own two small chocolate shops around Madison, WI and this "feature" causes huge headaches for us.  I have fielded calls, emails, and numerous complaints from customers who bought a gift for their spouse/significant other, and when they made the purchase on their joint account, a receipt was automatically sent to their spouse/significant other, ruining the surprise of the gift and telling the person exactly what their gift is.

I have complained to Square and requested a setting by which you can say "Always prompt for receipt" but I find it unlikely they will make the change based solely on my request.  If you think this is an issue, please chime-in.  Have you had problems with this?  How hae you addressed them?  Have you figured out any workarounds (beyond using a different card/cash/check)?  Do you have any other thoughts?  Would you like Square to add this capability to turn the feature off?  Please let your voice be heard!

Message 1 of 112
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 112
111 REPLIES 111
Super Seller

ah, sorry, you are saving a customer's credit card also not just creating a customer.  you would need to enter an email address there then as you can't add a card without an email address.  You could add your email there if your customer does not want to supply one.

Message 64 of 112

That's what I was afraid of.  I would like to get a thumbs up from someone from Square about entering my own email address when saving a customer and card.  Is this permissible?  @Helen 

Thanks again

Message 65 of 112
Alumni

Hey @pstrisik - Generally, we don't recommend entering your own email address for customer profiles or receipts. I recommend confirming email addresses with your customers especially when trying to add a Card on File as this protects both you and your customers' information.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 66 of 112

Thanks for the confirmation.  Sorry to hear about that requirement though.  I guess I will need to stay with Elavon a bit longer until I find a workable replacement service.

Message 67 of 112

@Helen,

Please turn off automatic receipts for our account.

Thank you!

Message 68 of 112
Admin

@javahaute I've just disabled the automatic receipt feature on your account!  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 69 of 112

@Helen It seems as though customers stopped earning loyalty points automatically for purchases on linked credit cards and gift cards (that is, it asks for the customer to provide their phone number for loyalty) right around the same time you toggled this automatic receipts switch for us. Would this change in behavior be linked to the change you made? If so, we might need to reconsider this choice.

Message 70 of 112
Admin

Hmm @javahaute, that's odd. The Loyalty program is tied to a customer's phone number. Can you call our CS team so they can take a closer look? (They'll also be able to re-adjust your receipt setings if needed.)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 71 of 112

Helen, would you help me with disabling automatic receipts on my account as well?  Thank you very much.

Message 72 of 112
Admin

@sko007 Yes, of course! I've just asked our CS team to disable automatic receipts on your account. A member of the team will email you as soon as they can to confirm this setting has been disabled.

Welcome to the Seller Community! 😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 73 of 112
Beta Member

I would like to have automatic receipts disabled on my account also, please.😊 

Message 74 of 112
Admin

@Stanley

We've updated this for you. Please let us know if you have any issues with it going forward.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 75 of 112

Please disable automatic receipts for our account. Thank you.

Message 76 of 112
Alumni

@TCBFBoston - I've gone ahead and created a case for you so that a member of our team can give you a hand with this. Please keep an eye on your email for a message from us!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 77 of 112

My understanding is that once a customer has provided their email address for a receipt at any Square-powered vendor, their receipts are automatically emailed to them from all other Square-powered vendors.

I have a few customers who buy baked goods and don't want their wives to know that they are buying sticky buns.  

Is there a way that they can opt-out or somehow turn this emailed receipt off?

Thanks!

Message 78 of 112
Alumni

Thanks for posting@tv0571 and kudos to your first post!

You can def opt out of sending automatic receipts, but CS will need to manually disable it for you. Give them a call here

Justin
Message 79 of 112

I am having the same issue as well except mine is dealing with reoccurring invoices.  I charge our members monthly or weekly and every time their "card on file" per the invoice is charged, they receive an email notification stating "You paid an invoice!"   How do I go about disabling this so I no longer have square auto-sending digital receipts or notifications on invoices?  My customers are getting aggravated with the amount of emails that come from Square.

Message 80 of 112
Square Community Moderator

@kolorbykatt I've disabled automatic receipts from your account so your customers will no longer receive them from you. 🙂

@sogoaction I can definitely do the same for you, but unfortunately it will not stop receipts from being sent every time an invoice is paid. This is a default feature that will happen each time. 

AshleyK
Message 81 of 112

This feature needs to be removed or at least allowed to be disabled.  Sometimes I am charging customers every 3 days depending on the program through a reoccurring invoice.  This is a huge nuisance for them and have asked me specifically to turn that off.   I have been told if these emails keep coming through they will cancel with me and report as SPAM.   This is a big problem on the Square end that needs to be resolved ASAP please.  It could cost me customers....

Message 82 of 112

Hello. I need this feature turned off on my account. We do weddings and other events, like birthday and anniversary partys, and people sometimes book our services as a surprise, but it automatically sends out a receipt. Also, almost half the time that it automatically sends out a receipt, it isn't to the email address that the client gave me. 

Message 83 of 112
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out @PBDJ

I’m sorry to hear that automatic receipts haven’t worked out for you, but I understand this feature isn’t for everyone. I’ve gone ahead and disabled automatic receipts for your account.

Your customers will now have the option to enter their email address or phone number for receipt delivery after each completed payment.

You can learn more about automatic receipts and Square’s Privacy Policy at our Support Center.

JJ
Message 84 of 112