x
Beta Member

We really enjoy using Square, but we have problems and some suggestions- Feature Request

Hi there all,

We currently use Square at our 11 locations in NYC and wanted to first mention happy we’ve been with the product for the last 3 years. And as we have expanded, we’ve been excited to see so many updates going live and we’ve found the Square Register to be a great fit at all of our current locations.

All that being said, we have some SERIOUS nagging issues. Lets dig in!

-Item Creation/Menu Suggestions

Auto-Sorting the Item Grid By Name

It already looks like you have the perfect spot here. Maybe a Copy Attributes Button (color, category, etc)

https://imgur.com/3pSL0QK

No one would object if you decided to give us the ability to control the number of rows and columns either (I can already hear the cheers). A Nested Tab (Like a Page 2) would be GREAT for those of us who have a lot of categories (F/B people I’m looking at you).

Having a Create an item button while in the category screen and have those attributes carry forward to items created there (ie. The color of the item, the category is already filled in). Most notable on Square Register. It’s a huge hassle adding items on the unit itself.

Along those lines, can you please have the “Regular” variation available to edit when adding an item? Currently creating an item with a custom variation involves; (1) adding a price for the correct variation, (2) add new variation, (3) create a useless variation and save, (4) now rename the correct variation name and save, (5) delete the dummy variation, (6) save item. This is not ideal.

Allowing us to reorder an item.

We already have the item detail when clicked:

https://imgur.com/4OWMz8y

So why not add the reorder button here:

https://imgur.com/qD3Hjh6

Incredibly useful if the item has a number of variations (ie toppings on a sundaes, cocktails, or hamburgers) and would make this transaction a breeze. Almost every single new employee asks us where the reorder button is within days of hiring.

-Hardware concern:

Can we please get the ability to Allow different print/sign methods on different Square Registers in the same location. Having a counter/bar set up is common and now that more fees are to tied to location #’s, it’s not practical. I believe ios can handle this. Crucial for locations that have to go counters.

-Security Concern:

Lastly, limiting TOTAL financial access to only members of the staff entrusted with such access. No different than any other permission. This wasn’t an issue until a recent update. I guarantee Square would not allow every hourly employee access to their entire sales database. My employees work multiple jobs and this is CLEARLY NOT information I would like to see getting out.

Blind drops are fairly standard in the retail/food/bev space. Give us a detailed screen for the current day’s transactions and tip adjustments and I imagine most employers would be satisfied.

Keep the updates coming and thanks for reading.

Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback! Most of these requests I don't have a timeline for when they'll become available but some of your suggestions are actually doable in the POS. 

1.  A Nested Tab - You can create multiple pages (up to 7) for your item grid:

1. Tap Checkout > tap the icon of the circled number 1 on an iPad or Page 1 on the Square Register.
  2. Tap and hold any + icon on the grid to put your grid in 'editing mode'
  3. To add more pages to your items grid, tap the next numbered page and add items to it.
  4. Tap Done Editing to save.

2. Create an item button while in the category screen - when under Items > Categories, there an Create item button once you tap an existing category. 

3. Have the “Regular” variation available to edit when adding an item - I just tested this on my mobile device and I'm able to add the variation while I'm creating an item. In fact, Regular doesn't auto- fill the variation space for me. Is this question specific to the Register or an iOS device? 

The others I'll definitely loop our Product Team in on. Let me know if my post helped with any of your issues. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2