x

What the hell is going on?

Card payments down on a busy Friday night? Unacceptable…

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

UPDATE: We have made a public postmortem available for this incident for those interested.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback and sincere apologies for the issues you saw over the weekend. 

At the moment our team is investigating an issue that saw some card payments declining for a period of time on Friday and Sunday nights. As of right now, the root cause of the issue is still being determined. 

We plan to offer further information in the coming days as our engineering team investigates the root cause of the issue. Impacted sellers should receive an email with more information once our investigation is complete, and I'll revisit this thread once I'm able to share more news.

The issue itself is now resolved, and live updates about our services can be found at au.issquareup.com - you can also view a timeline of the issues we saw over the weekend here.

We understand how impactful these sorts of outages are to your business and take them very seriously. We are learning from this experience and putting in place measures to prevent instances of downtime in the future.

Again, we offer sincere apologies to any of our impacted sellers and thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve these issues.

@Rancho @Jaynehurd @3eMt @JungSung @Scorpionbar @MarkZammit @Smithward @davo1973 @restaurateur @Scoopydoogelato

@Lookbhindya 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Yes our whole market was down so I guessing it was a full square issue.

Mine then took 2 payments off someone when telling me it hasn't. It looks so bad to my customer and I'm probably going to have to reimburse out 9f my pocket as the transactions are no where to be seen on square

Message 2 of 29
Super Seller

Yep. Payments down during our Friday evening rush. Busiest time of the week and we had people walking away when we advised them we were currently cash-only.  Very frustrating, cost us a lot of money!

Message 3 of 29

Yes me too!! so bad and frustrating

Message 4 of 29

Yeh i bet there was millions of $ lost last night

Message 5 of 29

And it’s happening again tonight on Sunday…Mother’s Day!

and still no response from the Square team

Message 6 of 29

Confirmed more payments failures across Sydney venues tonight as well.

Message 7 of 29

Payments down in the Hunter Valley. Can’t get through to square at all via phone. Will have to look at secondary processing for payments now.

Message 8 of 29

When I swipe a customer's card against my Square, the app on my phone would sometimes say 'Declined: Failed to process this payment. Please try again'. This happens for about 10 minutes a day. Accepting payments by Square usually works without issue.

Any idea how do I prevent this 'Declined' message occurring again?

Message 9 of 29

I had this issue recently too. Tonight it happen twice and it cause us loss few customer who doesn't have cash on hand. Square, I need this to be solve.

Message 10 of 29

Oh no not tonight as well 😞

I found that I couldnt get adequate support and am still waiting on a reply to email.. 

Message 11 of 29

There were a many people who are having to find new payment options now that PayPal is stopping card reading process but after seeing the major fails I don't think they were liking the look of square

Message 12 of 29

I’m think commbanks eftpos terminal might be a good backup. After two nights down, $30 a month starts to look like a good insurance policy. Might not be applicable to larger business though.

Message 13 of 29

Surely it would be better to swap altogether than run two wouldn't it?

I guess you would still want the square pos app though? 

Message 14 of 29

This is crazy.!! Friday snd Sunday/ Mother’s Day.!! Please help. Jung Sung Chippendale Sydney.

Message 15 of 29

Why square not accept customer's credit cards or any cards?

Message 16 of 29
Admin

Best Answer

UPDATE: We have made a public postmortem available for this incident for those interested.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback and sincere apologies for the issues you saw over the weekend. 

At the moment our team is investigating an issue that saw some card payments declining for a period of time on Friday and Sunday nights. As of right now, the root cause of the issue is still being determined. 

We plan to offer further information in the coming days as our engineering team investigates the root cause of the issue. Impacted sellers should receive an email with more information once our investigation is complete, and I'll revisit this thread once I'm able to share more news.

The issue itself is now resolved, and live updates about our services can be found at au.issquareup.com - you can also view a timeline of the issues we saw over the weekend here.

We understand how impactful these sorts of outages are to your business and take them very seriously. We are learning from this experience and putting in place measures to prevent instances of downtime in the future.

Again, we offer sincere apologies to any of our impacted sellers and thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve these issues.

@Rancho @Jaynehurd @3eMt @JungSung @Scorpionbar @MarkZammit @Smithward @davo1973 @restaurateur @Scoopydoogelato

@Lookbhindya 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 17 of 29

One of my customers contacted me yesterday and said his bank account has 3 withdrawals for the same amount due to the fact we tried 3 times to get square to tap on Friday night.... These 3 withdrawals did not appear on my transactions list on the Friday night... Please help. What should I do ??

Message 18 of 29

I had the same thing happen with 2 transactions and haven't received any reply to my email, answer on this post or any support..

I told my customer to call the bank and dispute it and I would continue to look into it. 

Message 19 of 29
Admin

@davo1973 @Jaynehurd It's possible that declined and/or voided transactions can appear as "pending" on a customer's statement before dropping off for a few days.

I'd first check with the customer that the transactions are not currently in a "pending" status on their bank statements, eg:

If these have gone through as full transactions and are not still appearing as "pending" then please get in touch with our support team for further assistance with these transactions. 

You can call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Go to "Other"" then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 20 of 29
Super Seller

We've just had a (very angry) customer complain he has two payments completed on his statement (i.e. been charged twice) but we only see one transaction against his card in Square. 

We've just emailed support but that's a 24-48hr response time....

Message 21 of 29