x

What the hell is going on?

Card payments down on a busy Friday night? Unacceptable…

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

UPDATE: We have made a public postmortem available for this incident for those interested.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback and sincere apologies for the issues you saw over the weekend. 

At the moment our team is investigating an issue that saw some card payments declining for a period of time on Friday and Sunday nights. As of right now, the root cause of the issue is still being determined. 

We plan to offer further information in the coming days as our engineering team investigates the root cause of the issue. Impacted sellers should receive an email with more information once our investigation is complete, and I'll revisit this thread once I'm able to share more news.

The issue itself is now resolved, and live updates about our services can be found at au.issquareup.com - you can also view a timeline of the issues we saw over the weekend here.

We understand how impactful these sorts of outages are to your business and take them very seriously. We are learning from this experience and putting in place measures to prevent instances of downtime in the future.

Again, we offer sincere apologies to any of our impacted sellers and thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve these issues.

@Rancho @Jaynehurd @3eMt @JungSung @Scorpionbar @MarkZammit @Smithward @davo1973 @restaurateur @Scoopydoogelato

@Lookbhindya 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Super Seller

Nevermind. The customer has now confirmed one transaction was actually pending despite furiously claiming it wasn't 🙄

All good.

As an FYI for other users, the customer says it wasn't clear on his bank statement that one transaction was pending/in process of being refunded. He rang his bank and they confirmed the status and advised it would take 2 working days to process.

This isn't the first time a customer has believed a voided transaction was completed - it may be specific to certain banks that the status is unclear on statements. If a transaction isn't showing up in your Square but is showing on a customers bank statement I'd recommend asking them to check directly with their bank....

@Seamus 

Message 22 of 29
Admin

Good to hear @Smithward, and sorry you had to deal with that situation!

Yep, I agree that if in doubt the customer should always check with their bank as to whether a transaction is in a pending status and what that means! 

For what it's worth, pending transactions do seem to cause a bit of confusion - I've seen it occur with Square and via systems outside of Square as well. Because a bank puts the amount for a pending transaction aside when an attempted charge is made (via Visa/Mastercard debit usually), it's seen immediately as a deduction on the customer end, but in reality the funds are still there. The bank has just set the amount aside temporarily as the transactions moves via Visa/Mastercard debit first, then via the issuing bank. Of if the transaction gets declined of voided, assigns the amount back to the customer. 

A lot of it comes down to general consumer unawareness of how Visa/Mastercard debit cards work, and not being aware of how a pending transaction works or what one is (and what can happen with voids and declines). Some bank websites and apps may display it a little more clearly than others and there are also instances where unfortunately folks don't want to hear about what a pending transaction even is. Fortunately those tend to be edge cases!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 23 of 29

Well it wasn't resolved very well because I am having that problem NOW. 

The last time we had this issue it took 3 days to get resolved. In the meantime we have put up a banner with a link to a form for taking orders with a note saying we will take payment using the square reader at the point of delivery. 

My best guess is that Weebly don't know how to release patches and keep breaking their build. I would be looking into that. Just a thought. 

Angelo's Daughter

Brisbane, Australia

Message 24 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hey @temporarymadeup,

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. The engineering team has rolled out a fix for this issue, so online orders should now be able to be processed. 

Are you still seeing issues with your site? 

Message 25 of 29

There seems to be a problem with this “ 3rd party “ that keeps going down  as we cannot accept payments , something/someone needs to be accountable, why should we loose business because a “3rd part “ goes down , and we have no support or contingency plan in place  , we don’t have ATM’s connected to our business so it’s a total pain for customers to try and go and get cash out !!!!, hence they leave and go somewhere where that can use there Eftpos card !!!

who is paying our compensation!!!!

Message 26 of 29

We had the same issue, I have two customers with 3 and 2 pending transactions in their account (so they cannot access their money) and no actual payment to us. It makes us look incompetent & we lost so much money & business on Friday night. So much for the live help. 

Message 27 of 29
Admin

For anyone interested, we now have a public postmortem available for this incident.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 28 of 29

This is not good enough. Your “support”, especially on the weekends is terrible. An apology is just not good enough. There is a payment issue again tonight on the online store with delivery card payments being declined. Have had many customers calling to complain. As a restaurant we are losing so much business due to these outages occurring on our busiest night of the week which is Saturday nights. And what support is there? Absolutely nothing. Squares own status monitor on the website is saying that all systems are operational with no incidents reported when this is clearly NOT the case:

https://au.issquareup.com

Not happy!

Message 29 of 29