x

When do you get paid for a gift card?

When do you get paid for a gift card? I see people buy them online but get no funds for it. Someone used one yesterday and I didn’t get any money for it. So I guess my question is when I’m I supposed to get paid? Thank you! 

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @kris84 

You do get paid when the Gift Card is initially purchased, not when they are redeemed.

The money should show up in your Transfers/Deposits/Balance section.

It may not show up in your Gross Sales section because technically purchases of Gift Cards are not sales.

But they should show up in your Total Sales (Gift Card Sales) and Total Collected sections of your Reports. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @kris84 

You do get paid when the Gift Card is initially purchased, not when they are redeemed.

The money should show up in your Transfers/Deposits/Balance section.

It may not show up in your Gross Sales section because technically purchases of Gift Cards are not sales.

But they should show up in your Total Sales (Gift Card Sales) and Total Collected sections of your Reports. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 2 of 12

Thank you so much for your help explaining it. I’ve never seen it deposited into my balance at the end of the day so I don’t know where the money is. I have it set up that I transfer my money into my bank acct. I’ll have to pretend to buy one and see. Again thank you so much! 

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller Alumni

@kris84 

Ah, interesting - mine always goes right through on my automatic next day transfer.

No problem at all! Always happy to help and let me know if you have any more questions!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 4 of 12

Hi!  Thank you for clarifying this. 

I am having a similar issue here and not seeing my gift card sale in my Square Balance to transfer to my bank.  I sold a gift card last week, and its value is not in my Balance.  I agree I should be paid when the sale happens, but in this case it appears I am not paid upon sale.   Any ideas of how to find out when I get paid and how I can adjust it so I'm paid when I make the sale?  

Thank you!

Amber

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @moonlightlady,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Seller Community!

When a gift card sale is made by card, the amount will be transferred to you in your next transfer. If the tender taken for the gift card sale was cash, cheque, or "other" tender, no transfer will be made as you'd already taken the funds. If the sale was taken via other tender, it'll look like this in your list of transactions:

Please check how your gift card was sold and let us know how you go! 

Message 6 of 12

Yes!!  Arie!  Thank you so much - it was an "other" tender, so it doesn't transfer over.  That makes sense now.  I appreciate the quick response 🙂

Amber 

Message 7 of 12

Glad this solved it @moonlightlady 😊 Let us know if you need help with anything else! 

Message 8 of 12

My coworker is having the same issue except hers says transfer pending. She Did this in December and still hasn't received in her bank account but the client shows paid on her credit card went thru  

Message 9 of 12

Hi @HadleyBrows - I'm sorry to hear that this issue has brought you to the Seller Community😥

For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team via phone or email. Here in the Seller Community, we aren't able to access your Square account to look into your reports.

The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real-time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

My gift card sales are not showing up in my item sales.  When do we receive the funds for the gift cards? at purchase or at redemption?

Message 11 of 12

Heya @OhioArtisans,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered by @pessosices.

Check out his Best Answer above. Also, your eGift card transactions will show under > Transactions but not item sales since it isn't really an item.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12