x

Feature Request: Support selecting the same modifier more than once

Feature Request: Support selecting the same modifier more than once

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Can I select the same modifier more than once?

Is there a way to select 1 modifier twice? For example, I have an item named '3 TACOS', once the item has been selected on the app, the cashier can choose the meats as modifiers: steak, fish, tofu, etc. However, sometimes guests want 2 steak and 1 fish for example. How can I make this happen?

79 Comments
Admin

Hi @JL217  I've merged your post into this thread so you can read through the current workarounds for adding multiples of the same modifier to an order.

This is a popular feature request, and I hope a workaround will help in the meantime! 

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Feature Request: Modifier Upgrades

We recently upgraded to Square for Restaurants. In this upgraded service there is not an option to allow two of the same modifier or to have a modifier of a modifier. For example, a dinner comes with a choice of two sides and the customer would like double french fries. We cannot choose french fries twice or put a quantity in the number of french fry sides. Also if the customer chooses Baked Potato for their side, we cannot put modifiers on that of butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon, and the appropriate upcharges. 

We currently work around this by adding several modifiers for each menu item. We have the first modifier of side choices, then we also have a modifier of baked potato options, but of course, we have to put this on every menu item and we can't change the order that the modifier choices is shown so sometimes the ticket in the kitchen get confusing as to what the server is requesting for the order. Then we have so many modifier choices on some menu items, it takes longer to take the order to go through all the options to see if they are needed for an order. 

Admin

Hello@ ELK1! Thanks for your post, I definitely see how some improvements would make processing orders more efficient. I'll surface this post to the Restaurants team. In themeantimem I've added it to another thread where another seller also requested additional features for modifiers. We'll post here if we have any updates to share with you! 

I wish there was a solution to this faster as well. It would be nice if the the modifiers were not terminated once there were selected and can be used over and over again. This would be a great solution for some of us small business.

Beta Member

We have an item on our restaurant where we ask customers to choose 2 out of 5 items to make it a platter. 3 of those items are premium so we want to import an addtional fee for those items when added to the platter. The customer could add the same item two times (min and max). If the customer adds the same premium items 2 times, how do I make sure that I get the right pricing? For example, the platter usually costs 10$ with each item priced at $5 each. We offer Items A, B, C and D as the 4 options. Item D is the premium items and costs $6. How do I allow customer to create a platter with item D added twice so total cost comes to $12??

thank you

Sid 

Super Seller

Hi @srpanchal --Sid!

Square doesn't have the ability to allow you to double-select a modifier like you need here.

Right now, there are two ways to get around this. With the right staff training, you shouldn't have people taking advantage of the ways around it... (online ordering is another story, though.....)

-Probably the easiest to implement would be to have an additional modifier saying "Double D". Have that priced at the upcharge rate.

-The other option is to create a second modifier set with item D listed again. Make this an optional so that the staff doesn't have to enter it if the customer doesn't want to double up on item D.

Hope this helps!

I want to tag @katieand and @Helen on this one, because I think it would be a definite help in specific circumstances: can we add this to the Feature Request list?

Beta Member

We'd like to +1 this.  We're a computer repair and custom build shop, and have gotten requests to allow for dual-GPU w/ SLI in our online orders.  We thought about adding another modifier group, but we quickly realized that would allow our customers to order two separate GPUs (SLI requires both GPUs are the same).  Allowing for double-selection of modifiers would be quite nice.

For the time being, we've decided to implement this by adding additional modifier items labeled as "Dual XXXXX" and doubling the price.

I have one item in my store set up with approximately 20 themes to select from. The price is set for a customer to select 4 themes for that price. However, if the customer wants a multiple of a theme within the limit of the four (for that price) it can’t be done or at least I don’t know how to make that happen. I have this set up under modifiers. What am I missing? Also, does not track inventory of each item.  What should I be doing differently?  Thank you!

Square Community Moderator

Hey! Welcome to the Seller Community. 🙂

At this time, we do not have a way to allow sellers to select one modifier twice for the online store, or for our regular check out. What many sellers do as a workaround is to create identical modifier sets, apply them to the items needed, and then force the customer to select one modifier from each set, in case the seller wants more than one of a modifier choice. 

For example, think in the form of food sides. Let's say a customer orders a hamburger and they can get 2 modifiers (I lowered the number from 4 for the length of this post), the seller would have to do something like this:

Hamburger Modifier option 1 (Pick 1):

1: Lettuce

2: Onion

3: Pickles

4: Cheese

Hamburger Modifier option 2 (Pick 1):

1: Lettuce

2: Onion

3: Pickles

4: Cheese

The customer could have the option to get Cheese for both option 1 and 2 if they want double cheese, and you, the seller, can easily track. 🙂

I have an option to sell platters and would like the option to be able to select each modifier (or roll in this case) show up more than once, and also it will be nice for each modifier to show up on a different line.