x

Where can I buy the original magstripe/chip reader that plugs directly into your phone?

I do not like the idea of the contactless chip reader because from what I understand, in order to use the same reader on multiple devices, it has to be disconnected and then repaired.

I have 4 contractors currently working for me, and to have to disconnect/reconnect the device everytime we check out a customer is going to slow down the way my business is run. Waste of time and a huge inconvenience. Not to mention ridiculously expensive as it seems my only option now is to purchase each person their own contactless reader. 

So my question is, where can I buy the original magstripe/chip reader that plugs directly into your phone? My current one isnt holding a charge and I need a replacement ASAP. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

I believe that this unit was sunsetted.  I can't find it for sale from Square.

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Hi @ScratchNailSpa. @VanKalkerFarms is correct- We are no longer selling the reader that accepted both magstripe and chip payments. 

I know you mention the price difference between the reader that accepted both magstripe and chip versus the Contactless and Chip Reader. That older magstripe reader was $30, so just $20 shy of the Contactless and Chip Reader that we offer now.

Sorry if this causes any frustration. You can also reach out to our Customer Success Team to see if they can assist in getting your older reader back up and running.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 3 of 5

HOW DO I GET A ACTUAL SQUARE DEVICE TO SWIPE CARDS ?

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @rabrahamhampton - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to see you join us here.

So sorry for the confusions surrounding ordering a Reader! i've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also had various questions surrounding purchasing hardware, for record keeping.

You can purchase our normal Magstripe Reader from our Online Shop here. 

Let me know if you have any more clarifying questions! We are here to help. Cheers.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5