x

Which reader will work with my new phone doesn't that doesn't have a headset port?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: New phone, MotoZ3. Does not have reader port. Suggestions for the cc reader that works with my phone

My old phone had a headset port .new phone, moto Z3 what do you use for this android phone for CC reader? 

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

that phone has a USB C port for charging.  I believe it came with a USB to headphone adapter.  there is not a Square reader for USB C.  Instead I would recommend usong the contactless reader.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

that phone has a USB C port for charging.  I believe it came with a USB to headphone adapter.  there is not a Square reader for USB C.  Instead I would recommend usong the contactless reader.

Message 2 of 7

Thank you! This phone is still new to me so was really at a loss. 

Message 3 of 7

That's ridiculous that Square is not keeping up with the new technology!

Message 4 of 7
Super Seller

If anything I think they were ahead by moving to Bluetooth connectivity before phones started phasing out headphone jacks.  Using a swipe-only card reader is no longer a recommended way to take credit card payments after the switch by the credit card companies to chip cards.  If you take a chip card and swipe it you are liable for the total amount of the transaction if it is determined to be fraudulent.  If you really want to just use a swipe reader a USB C to headphone jack adapter can be purchased for under $10 on amazon.

Message 5 of 7

The new phones do not have a headphone jack. Also, read reviews online for the contactless non-swipe readers... not very good or 100% reliable, Just saying. 

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

Yes, most phones no longer have headphone jacks (remember how everyone said Apple was crazy in 2016, and Samsung even ran TV ads making fun of them, and now they all do it). I can only speak from my experience and the Contactless readers are outstanding.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 and have had nothing but a great experience with them since they launched in 2015, before phones even started removing the jack. 

I am sure though as with anything there are some hiccups that happen with so many different manufacturers, but there are millions of them out there and very few issues overall, and the fact it is only $49 is great.

Message 7 of 7