x

Why can't Square folks set up actual shipping pricing for different states?

Folks, I know I previously received an email answer to this.. However let me post this here..  I haven't started my actual online store yet, because I am sort of exhausted trying to figure out how I can ship my initial 1 chocolate confection items, to various states, because there are different costs depending on what Zone I ship to. 

If Square wants to encourage us small business owners, why not make it easier on us to do this. Ebay does it very easily, and I think Squares suggestion before was to use a 3rd party app or interface, however I don't want to add additional overhead (cost). So depending on how USPS zones off each area, then I would need to set up a price point for each Zone, right? I put up my Ebay store in minutes, and everything was covered and handled, with minimal small business owner impact. 

I know I see a lot of questions posted regarding shipping, why can't Square make it easier for all of us? Thanks in advance! Dave

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

Unfortunately the 3rd party app/interface is probably the best option.

There is a work around that I've seen other sellers implement. It involves using price points or modifiers to change the shipping costs.

* p. Price points: Set your shipping cost at $0.00 and create specific price points within each item. Each price point can factor in different shippingcosts (e.g., expedited, standard). Prior to checkout, when a customer clicks an item with multiple price points, a drop-down menu showing the shippingoptions will appear.

* p. Modifiers: Create a modifier set called "shipping" and name each individual modifier with your shipping types (e.g., within city limits, outside city limits). Each modifier can add cost to the total purchase, which can accommodate the different shipping fees you apply.

Message 2 of 9

Hi EJ,

Thanks for the details of a long involved process. Honestly Square wants to promote itself and really wants to set itself apart and your software can't even do something as simple as setting up shipping to various states, along with the various combinations.

Really seems like shipping isn't even a thought for a company working and trying to promote their business. As a small business owner, I will either be forced to pay an additional amount of monies, I am not making yet or spend countless hours trying to figure out how to properly set up and calculate the correct shipping amount to the various Zones.

Not trying to be critical, however unless you have a pop up shop somewhere, using Square for online sales, is probably the most cumbersome of all tasks of running a small business. For Square to Promote themselves as the following, I wonder why shipping is considered an after thought by Square? Selling on Ebay and Etsy seems to be hours of less work and easier to accomplish, simply from a shipping standpoint. Seems like other folks agree for what I see on the Communities discussion.

Start selling today. Take care of your business anywhere with Square.

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

I definitely hear your concern. Hopefully we can get something improved for you in the near future. Keep an eye out for any updates!

Message 4 of 9

you guys from square up will face the trounles that you brought in to my family... 1 day i wish .. fast and reliable app.. "BIG WORD" for those who trying to be a part of this app .. think about it it first.. because i experienced every single humiliation disrespected not only me ..my family. my son who is 2 year old ..who is inoscent why have to be part of this and be involved... im not a hater ..they are the one who did this to us...  "KARMA " remember that word...

Message 5 of 9

I am still struggling with implementing shipping. I think it's great that for a reasonable add-on fee (only $9/mo for Square subscribers with 50 or less shipments per month) I can add ShipStation's functionality. HOWEVER: how do you set it up?? I am not clear on how modifiers would be set up if someone wants to buy ONE of my items, shipping is xx or if someone buys 4 items shipping is $xx? It seems like the customer would want the cheapest shipping option possible, but then I have to eat the cost if they purchase something that weighs more than the basic USPS fee?

I avoided etsy because of all the add-on fees and I wanted something that would seamlessly integrate with the Square card reader for in-person sales. But I have to agree that the set-up of this has been a major pain in the butt. [sorry Square staff]

Please help! I cannot launch my company and site until I know the shipping setup will work.

Message 6 of 9
Square

I'm not too familiar with how the setup looks on Shipstation's side unfortunately, @SimpliArtisan

Have you already had a chance to use start the integration? You can find the steps to do so in our Support Center. From there, Shipstation's support team can lend a hand with additional setup help. You can contact their support team here. Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 9

I had a call with a ShipStation rep Thursday. It looks like Square's e-commerce is very limiting (Shopify and other options were suggested). But I decided to use flat-rate shipping and hope anyone ordering beyond the flat-rate box will be less than the number of orders I get that fit into that box.

I launched site and business this afternoon, so we'll see how it goes.

Thank you Spenser.

Message 8 of 9
Square

I agree the shipping options are limited, but hopefully it works out ok for you! Best of luck @SimpliArtisan, let me know if you have any other questions that come up.

Message 9 of 9