x
Beta Member

Why doesn't Square have a unified UI and syncing between Square Online and Square POS?

I am rather new to Square and find Square very frustrating because of the inconsistencies between Square Online and Square POS. For example, if prices, descriptions, and pictures sync between the two sites, why not discounts, sale prices, and categories? 

To make it even more frustrating, when you are editing your site on the web, the functions that edit Square Online are not distinctly labeled from the functions that edit Square POS. A case in point is items. You have items and an item list under "online" but when you are on the Home page, you also have Items--this time editing the POS site, but without clear differentiation or labeling. 

I understand that the platforms were developed at different points in time and it may take time to initiate some of these changes, but surely Square could at least improve labeling--and syncing everything (or having a choice to do so) should be a top priority.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@JKO I have been with square quite a while even before the weebly purchase.  Here are some of the things I have found.

1.  Categories online do not correlate to categories in the point of sale..so don't even try to be honest.  Just know you have online categories and categories in the point of sale.  Think of the categories in the point of sale as a way to look at broad areas for reporting.  Online categories are more for organization in a menu for people to find stuff to buy.  I have learned to organize using item names sometimes to work with them faster online.

2.  The syncing- is vastly improved over the years.  Online is more robust and if you "desync" you get the ability to do custom fonts, descriptions, bold, italics, multi-pictures.  It is really made to be it's own standalone site.  The point of sale serves a very different purpose than an online site so the ecosystems will always be somewhat different.  Online is completely customizable.

3.  Online dashboard will always say "ONLINE" at the top left while the regular dashboard will say "HOME" at the top.  Square is actually trying to make the way the 2 dashboards work more similar.  I understand though, you don't wanna be on the regular dashboard thinking your editing online.

4. Discounts are actually a work in progress and this may change in the future..once again the 2 different purposes haven't come together yet.

Hope this at least gives you some insight into where it is going.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 2