x
Beta Member

Why don’t Auto POs pull information from low stock alerts?

Why do auto POs primarily pull information from only sales history instead of low stock alerts? It doesn’t seem like there is a point to having this feature otherwise. Due to the nature of my business I sell many small items, but I am not regularly selling the same items from week to week, plus I often have limited edition items that sell well, but I know I won’t restock. This means that Square’s predictions of items that may run out soon are not going to be accurate or helpful. Last week I finally had that time to sit down and add low stock alerts to all of the items from my largest vendor. I expected that when I reviewed the auto PO from this vendor today, all of the items below the threshold would show up. Instead, it pulled in 6 items, 2 of which were items that sold well last week, but were not below the low stock threshold. I still had to manually add the other 91 items I needed to order. Does anyone know if there is a way to generate purchase orders based solely off of low stock alerts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

It should work. One thing you need to do in addition to setting low stock alerts is to assign a vendor to each item and variations of each item. That way when you go to create a PO and select the vendor from your drop down it should offer to auto generate a PO for that vendor that includes everything you get from that vendor with a low stock alert set. Also make sure inventory tracking is enabled for each item. For some reason when you add a new item or variations to an existing item the default is inventory tracking off. 

Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I know each item has a vendor assigned, but I’ll check the individual variations. It seems a bit ridiculous since all variations of an item are going to be from the same vendor. I’m sure I already have inventory tracking enabled since it has to be in order to set low stock alerts, but I’ll double check. 

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

The way it’s setup is that it’s possible to have variations obtained from different vendors. I know in my inventory I have items and variations of items that are ordered from multiple vendors. Just depends on which one has the best price when I am getting ready to order

Message 4 of 9
Beta Member

That makes sense. I went through and added a vendor for every variation, but still no luck. When I go to create a new PO for this vendor it is still only suggesting one item that may run out soon when I now have over 100 items below the low stock alert.

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

Ok now that I am at my shop I had time to do a little bit of digging around in my dashboard. It seems like the feature you’re wanting to use is actually called Stock Forecast and it’s a Beta Feature at the moment. I would suggest that you go to the beta section of the community and see if they’re still accepting Beta testers for that feature and request to have it enabled on your account if they are. I actually have it enabled on my account so I was able to check and see if it would allow you to select a vendor and then automatically create a PO for low stock level items. It will and it also gives you the number of each item variations that you normally sell in a set time period. Sorry I can’t be of more help 

Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

I’m actually already enrolled in Stock Forecast, which is how I’ve been able to use the auto PO feature. It only uses information about sales history to predict what might sell out soon, it doesn’t pull information from the low stock alerts that I set. Right now when I create a new PO for a specific vendor a box pops up at the top asking if I’d like to add items that may sell out soon (the same items show up if I generate an auto PO from the Stock Forecast screen). 

What I would like to happen when I create a new PO is to have the option to add all items from that vendor that are below the low stock alert threshold. This one small thing would save me at least a few hours every week.

Message 7 of 9
Super Seller

Ah ok. Sorry that I misunderstood. So  that would definitely be something to mention in the Beta Feedback group for that feature 

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

I appreciate the suggestions anyway! I’ll check out the feedback group.

Message 9 of 9