x

Why don't invoices show up in monthly sales summary report?

I do about 50/50 of my Square business with digital invoices and point of sale card swipes.  Why on Earth do I have to go through invoice by invoice to make my own report at the end of the month and it's not included in any transaction history or reports?  It's all going to the same company, same account, same products and services, it makes no sense.  My accountant HATES it.  On my bank statement, it simply shows a Square deposit.  But for payroll and accounting, and my own company reports, I need to know where that money came from!

Message 1 of 20
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @CaptexCarpentry ! One question: are both open and closed invoices not showing up in sales reports?

Open invoices wouldn't be counted because the transaction isn't complete: Square only counts a transaction complete when payment has been received. The open invoices belong more in an Accounts Receivable line in your accounting software: it's technically your money, but it's not in your posession yet.

If you're talking closed invoices, that is odd. All my closed invoices show as a sales transaction on the day I close it. On the web dashboard, check to make sure your reports include all sources of revenue are included. If you've filtered your data at all, it could throw things off. If you are viewing all data and it's still not showing closed invoices, I recommend giving customer service a ring. They can dig a lot deeper into your account than we can in a public forum.

Are you using the Quickbooks integration with Square? I'm not sure how that handles invoices. I know when I tried it out a few years ago it wouldn't separate categories or items, but I'm hoping that's been updated since. Invoices could be something weird, though...

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 20

Best Answer

Has this issue been resolved yet?  It is absurd that a POS system as large as SQUARE doesn't have basic functionality of reporting daily sales accurately.  From the answer above it is obvious that the software design engineers nor the person responding has any clue as to basic retail operations.

To design a system that does not account for a sale (or at lest allow for a reporting of a sale) at the time that it takes place, is neither practical nor legal in most States.  Many States require by law that you pay sales tax on sales in the month that you realized the sale.  NOT! when you get paid for the sale.  If I sell $10,000 in goods and services today and bill my customer for them, the sales tax and service tax is due this month.  If my customer doesn't pay for the goods and services for 6 months, or even a year, or maybe not at all... the State still mandates that the sales tax be paid that month.

The same is true for Federal Income taxes for businesses that do accrual basis accounting, which is (according the the IRS) over 65% of businesses.

If I ring a sale into a POS system and use the "Invoice" method as payment, then the sale is complete. Period. That is basic accounting 101, bookkeeping for idiots and any other way that you want to look at "sales" in the United States of America.

Why can't SQUARE design a system that complies with State and Federal laws on a simple sales reporting feature?  

We shouldn't have to go through by hand and generate our own sales reports just to do our daily functions and monthly tax reporting.

I don't really care if the invoice is "open" or "closed." The law, common sense, basic retail and business practices all say that the "sale" happened and I need to be able to see it on a daily sales report with all sales.

Thank You!

-Matt

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Beta Member

Did you want the invoices to be shown separate from POS swipes?  Looking over my report for May it shows everything together so invoiced labor and in person labor is just under the 'labor' category together.  Same with accessories, parts, etc.  Now I can go into 'invoices' and bring up paid for last month which I could then subtract from the total to see what portion was invoiced versus POS.  Any help?

Message 2 of 20

Negative; my invoices don't show up AT ALL.  I'd like them to be included in reports/sales summary so ALL of my Square transactions are on ONE REPORT.

Message 3 of 20
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @CaptexCarpentry ! One question: are both open and closed invoices not showing up in sales reports?

Open invoices wouldn't be counted because the transaction isn't complete: Square only counts a transaction complete when payment has been received. The open invoices belong more in an Accounts Receivable line in your accounting software: it's technically your money, but it's not in your posession yet.

If you're talking closed invoices, that is odd. All my closed invoices show as a sales transaction on the day I close it. On the web dashboard, check to make sure your reports include all sources of revenue are included. If you've filtered your data at all, it could throw things off. If you are viewing all data and it's still not showing closed invoices, I recommend giving customer service a ring. They can dig a lot deeper into your account than we can in a public forum.

Are you using the Quickbooks integration with Square? I'm not sure how that handles invoices. I know when I tried it out a few years ago it wouldn't separate categories or items, but I'm hoping that's been updated since. Invoices could be something weird, though...

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 20

I take a lot of deposits on labor; but regardless, even paid in full invoices don't show up on monthly sales reports.  I'll probably try calling to complain. Dollars are dollars; my accountant doesn't care when/where they came from within 30 days.  Not my MO but necessary in this case...

Message 5 of 20
Super Seller

Ok, I'm not sure about why the paid invoices are not showing, but I do know that open invoices that you have taken a deposit on still stay open and don't count as a sale yet.

How Square views deposits on invoices is as an "advance" on total payment of the invoice, so they aren't considered a sale yet.

I still recommend contacting customer support about why your closed invoices aren't showing on your reports: that's very odd.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 6 of 20

Best Answer

Has this issue been resolved yet?  It is absurd that a POS system as large as SQUARE doesn't have basic functionality of reporting daily sales accurately.  From the answer above it is obvious that the software design engineers nor the person responding has any clue as to basic retail operations.

To design a system that does not account for a sale (or at lest allow for a reporting of a sale) at the time that it takes place, is neither practical nor legal in most States.  Many States require by law that you pay sales tax on sales in the month that you realized the sale.  NOT! when you get paid for the sale.  If I sell $10,000 in goods and services today and bill my customer for them, the sales tax and service tax is due this month.  If my customer doesn't pay for the goods and services for 6 months, or even a year, or maybe not at all... the State still mandates that the sales tax be paid that month.

The same is true for Federal Income taxes for businesses that do accrual basis accounting, which is (according the the IRS) over 65% of businesses.

If I ring a sale into a POS system and use the "Invoice" method as payment, then the sale is complete. Period. That is basic accounting 101, bookkeeping for idiots and any other way that you want to look at "sales" in the United States of America.

Why can't SQUARE design a system that complies with State and Federal laws on a simple sales reporting feature?  

We shouldn't have to go through by hand and generate our own sales reports just to do our daily functions and monthly tax reporting.

I don't really care if the invoice is "open" or "closed." The law, common sense, basic retail and business practices all say that the "sale" happened and I need to be able to see it on a daily sales report with all sales.

Thank You!

-Matt

Message 7 of 20

State and Federal tax laws consider a sale to have taken place when goods or services are transferred or rendered, regardless of if payment has been received.  Square is really putting a lot of retailers in jeopardy by creating their own definition of "sales" as only being ones that are "when payment is received."  While businesses that were set up and do accounting on a cash basis "can" report that way for Federal taxes, most (according to national accounting stats over 73%) businesses function on an accrual basis.

For most States it is mandatory law that sales tax be paid whether or not it has been collected.

So for Square to say that a "sale" is not complete nor taken place and therefore not included in sales reports simply because payment has not been received, shows a complete lack of business sense and basic understanding of business practice in the United States.

Message 8 of 20

On mine if I select filter ALL DEVICES then it includes invoices in reports, for some reason it sees invoices as not the same device as your point of sale ipad or cash drawer,  this was driving me crazy but all good when ALL DEVICES is selcted

Message 9 of 20

Are invoices/payments reporting in sales summary reports?

Message 10 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Heya @voodoocafe,

I moved your post to an existing thread where this question has been answered/discussed.

Check out the answers above for more details.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 20

I am having the same issue and cannot find the post that is referenced at the bottom where this question has been answered. 

Message 12 of 20
Alumni

Look at Ryan's answer above. Invoices won't reflect in Sales reports until they're paid. 

@KMiranda 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 20

Even my paid invoices don’t show up. 

Message 14 of 20
Admin

Hmmm. Can you try going to Square Dashboard > Transactions > Adjust the time frame, then go to Sources > Invoices? 

Again, please note that only fully complete (non partially) paid invoices will show up as transactions. If you're still not seeing them there, please give us a call @KMiranda

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 15 of 20

I am in complete agreement with MaddMatt, Square really needs to give the customer the option to use cash or accrual basis for the sales accounting.  The reports are completely useless for accrual accounting and sales tax reporting.  This is a major issue they really need to correct ASAP!!!!!

Message 16 of 20

I'm late to the game and bewildered this is still an ongoing discussion. I can see a programmer making an assumption, especially if the US operates differently from his home country. But now that the deficiency has been pointed out...

Message 17 of 20

Is this still not fixed? My accountant is on my butt and we have to manually search each transaction daily to find any deposits to match to report. This doesn't really make sense from an accounting pov, i get accural and cash basis but if a deposit is made on the last day of the month, that transaction wont shop up until its paid then the balances wont match. Insanse how this big of a company has such limited featues.

But, what ive realzied is square has the ability and knows what their customers need, The reason for basic functions to get added or updated is they wait until they can add it as an additional bundle to pay for. Each couple months, they add a new bundle that takes 2-3 functions that are pointless then add the 1 we do need then force you to upgrade a subscription to use it. 

Message 18 of 20

I would like to add that even if you take the time to do this manually it doest show deposits under "partially paid" items. You literally have to know you had that transaction on that particular day. Embarrassing 

Message 19 of 20
Beta Member

Is there any timeline from Square developers to add the ability to track partial invoice payments as receipts/transactions?? This topic has been open for 4 years, is this even being looked at?

If I take a $500 cash deposit on an invoice in-person, there is nothing being tracked on the POS side. I need that transaction reflected at the point of sale. I need the cash drawer tracking in Square Register to reflect the money I just took from someone. I need to be able to sync that partial payment into my accounting software. This feels like a pretty massive oversight.

Cole Rodriguez
Message 20 of 20