x

How do I add a brand to item?

Hello, I sell lots of different brands in my store so I need to add the brand to my items. How do I do that? Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

you would have to edit the item name and add it to there.  instead of jeans as an item, it would be levis jeans.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Best Answer

you would have to edit the item name and add it to there.  instead of jeans as an item, it would be levis jeans.

Message 2 of 12

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of doing the same thing but hoping there is a field for brands. This would help running the reports to see what brands sell best.

Message 3 of 12
Admin

@bkb2018 Have you considered creating a category for each brand? There is also a Category Sales report which could help you to track sales. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

I have read numerous posts from over the past few years asking for an ITEM field for BRANDS.  I have read the workarounds suggested -- and for our business we have integrated the brands (usually abbreviated) into the item name...but that causes problems because its not perfectly consistent and only a certain number of letters displays on the POS screen.

I've considered using the category field for brand, but categories serve a purpose -- so its not such a simple compromise.

Why is it so difficult for the field to be added?  Why are you able to allow us to customize the customer database but not the item database?

Is the addition of a brand field even in the developers list of enhancements?

Message 5 of 12

Would like to know about this, as well. Brand is important for running inventory reports and we already use the category to differentiate the type of product (i.e. skincare retail vs appointment inventory). An alternative to this that might benefit multiple users, I suppose, would be just adding a "tags" option so you can add tags to items as a way of grouping them in other categories. This would be helpful for running promotions, too. 

An expiration date field would be great, as well. 

Pleaseeee bump this feature request up!

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hi @gresserin. I checked in and regrettably there aren't any updates that I can provide on this request. I'll push this up to our developers so they can continue to track the want for this feature.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 12

Its a year later, and we're running into the same problem trying to build our online store. Without being able to have a brand category, we might have to redo our entire Item Library, all 4,000+ SKUs. Needless to say, without shutting down our store, this will be a monumental effort. We went with Square's online store based on the sales pitch of how our inventory automatically loads into the Weebly framework, which it did, but after the fact we learn the 'Categories' won't be the same and the workload monumental! Very, very frustrated here. The Support videos are not a help, only provide assistance on very narrow aspects of the whole process. And more, too much to go on about now...

Message 8 of 12

I think it’s almost comical that square is trying to compete with shopify without having that feature available.  In our case, we operate a bra boutique and knowing the brand is VERY important to consumers but it’s also important when running reports.  I’m still on the fence about switching to square full time.  It seems the comments about sending concerns to the developers is about as helpful as trying to get a message to the man in the moon. If they were actually listening, I’d expect this add-on to be pretty high in the list for most retailers.  

Square has better tech support, but that’s about it as far as I can tell.  My store is inventory heavy and I feel like I’m on tech support daily so for us, good support is imperative but once we’re all in, I may just download the new CSV and go back to shopify.  

Message 9 of 12

I agree that there needs to be a specific field for the brand.  But I can see you are pushing out so much for restaurants that it appears retail isn't getting any attention.  If I can't find a way to do a work around I will have to move by businesses from square. 

Message 10 of 12

Isn’t there a vendor category?  Vendor is basically what I’m using when I input new as “the  brand” for my store.  I also add it into my description, but that’s not a reliable way to run reports in my opinion.

Message 11 of 12

that why Shopify is better.

I am also trying a way to put a brand, but cannot.

Message 12 of 12