x

Why is my tips not showing up on customers bank statement

My client came in for a service and she tipped me. She called this morning and said that it’s not showing what she tipped on her statement. On my transaction report it shows the tip in the total. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Aahhh, the joys of people being able to check their accounts in real time...

A lot of times in the tipped world, the card is swiped as a "pre-auth" for the dollar amount of the sale. In the old days of batch closing the cards, the real charge would then be relayed. Even with Square not relying on an End of Day batch close, I've seen times where the pre-auth comes across only at first (as in your case here), or where both charges show on the customer's account. Either way, you can tell your customer that what you see on your transactions is what will actually be charged once the bank and Square sync up--usually within 1-2 business days of transaction.

My stock line when this happens is for the customer to give it a day or two, and if both (or the incorrect) charges are still there to reach back out to me so I can do more research--I have yet to get that return call. 🙂

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4

I have a customer who has their original charge of $17.42 pending on their their bank account and the amount of $20.03 (with a $2.61 tip) that cleared. How can I better explain to them that the $17.42 will disappear in a few days and it was just the original authorization? 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hi @Avascandycorner - The pending payment will drop depending on the card issuer's processing speed. I advise your customer reach out to their bank to learn more about the pending charge. They'll be able to confirm for your customer. 

Also, @ryanwanner provides a couple talking points on this thread I merged you with. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4