x

Why would someone have a charge on their account that we did not initiate?

A credit union called about a disputed transaction containing my Square account information. I have no memory or record of the transaction yet the information the credit union has shows my name and phone number though the last name is spelled slightly incorectly. How can this happen? May it be related to the hacking of Experian?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Northstar1701, welcome to the Seller Community. So a card issuer contacting you directly is not normal, but it's not unheard of. If you do have a chargeback our Disputes Team will reach out to you via email. You'll also have a notification on your Square Dashboard. Have you received an email from our Disputes Team?  

If you have access to the last 4 digits of the card you can search for the charge on the Sales tab of the Square Dashboard. Just make to select Transactions from the top of your screen. 

Message 2 of 4

Yes I understand, I do not see it under our Square  Transactions list  on the dashboard. The name they had as the originator of the charge was Sharpe nor Sharp which is my last name but they said it had my phone number.

Message 3 of 4

@Northstar1701 this sounds kind of phishy to me. It sounds like the credit union was kind of vague and didn't have all of the details and were asking you for more info. 

It's not a bad idea to reach out to the credit unions support team and ask them how they handle customer disputes.

If a dispute comes through to Square we will make sure to contact you via email.

Message 4 of 4