x

Will fees for manual entry be waived during COVID-19?

Here's a friendly suggestion from a long time Square user with multiple business locations: to help small businesses cope with the craziness of COVID-19 - waive the extra charges for manually entered credit cards, since we are (in many states) being forced to take payment over the phone versus swiping a card, therefore being forced to have higher fees!!!

Thank you for listening!

Message 1 of 166
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 166
165 REPLIES 165
Beta Member

Great suggestion. It sure would be nice. I know it would help so many of us. 😍

Message 2 of 166
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jill6487 and @MittenBeach,

We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time.

We'll continue to send out updates as they come and what we're working on to help.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your suggestion and in the meantime- please check out our Resources page for what we're currently doing if you haven't already. 

Ashley C
Message 3 of 166

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Corona Virus processing fees 

As a retailer, we're being proactive in the marketplace as far as keeping both our customers and staff safe. We've turned off the signature requirement on our card machine, and have started to offer curbside service and call ahead. Both of these require us to manually input the credit card information if the people want to pay over the phone for their pickups. Is Square looking at giving us a break of the fees for the duration of this?

Message 4 of 166
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Message 5 of 166

I've spoken with my Square rep, and they've taken my suggestion and are sending it up the chain. We'll see how that goes. Will be looking at other options if needed...

Message 6 of 166
Alumni

We always expect sellers to evaluate their services to determine what's best for their business, @FifiFido. Please let us know if any other questions come up that we may be able to help answer.

Valentina
Message 7 of 166

I have a small grooming business and we are TRYING to stay open until they tell us no more but we may make the call if the numbers keep rising in our area. We have changed our way of conducting business. We are no longer allowing clients in the building.  We meet them outside to get the pet and return the pet to them outside.  We are invoicing or keying in the cards  for payments and OMG the fees!  Square!  Come on!  You can do this.  Let us have the usual processing fee of POS so we can adhere to social distancing and still try to keep our businesses alive!  On another note, I GREATLY appreciate the refund for the appointment apps this month, that gave us all hope you've got our backs.. but this one more little step would help tremendously.  Come on Square.. YOU can do this!!! 

Message 8 of 166

Hi there, @txgroomer - thanks for adding your voice here.

As Valentina said above, we’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time.

We will continue to push out updates if there is news to share. 

Joe
Message 9 of 166

I like what you have to say.

Message 10 of 166

With all due respect, the solutions you are suggesting may work for "sellers" of merchandise;  but for healthcare services, we are not able to use these options.  HIPPA has to be taken into consideration and patients information cannot just used over any internet platform.

Message 11 of 166

Hi,

I'm a therapist with a small private practice and I must use only HIPAA compliant payment methods.  So I can swipe or use a chip reader but cannot send an invoice to clients.  So while I appreciate that you are steering merchants towards that option that simply does not work for health care professionals.  

I am currently using only teletherapy for safety reasons and my only option with Square is to input their card information manually if I want to maintain HIPAA compliance.

Please reduce the fees for manual card entry!  I appreciate that you've given options but I know there are others like me who cannot benefit from those options.  Without a temporary accommodation, I am going to have to look at other options to keep fees reasonable.   

Thanks,
REKF

Message 12 of 166

A post on the NASW MA website mentioned IvyPay, which is free and HIPPA compliant.

I'm going to check it out.

Hope this is helpful.

Valerie Letourneau, LICSW

Message 13 of 166

With curbside pickup, restaurant customers are calling in their credit card numbers. This means that restaurants have to pay the higher card- not-present fees. What is Square doing about those higher fees during this crisis???

Message 14 of 166

Hi there, @MKB1 - thanks for adding your voice here on the Seller Community. It is good to hear from you again!

I'm merging your post with a Similar Thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about fees during this uncertain time. As Valentina said above, we’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time.

You may find out Covid-19 Resource Center helpful here. It outlines all actions we are taking to assist our Sellers during this time.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 15 of 166

I think this is such a disappointment that square will not work with us small businesses and refund the manual swipe charges, simply so we can stay in business. I know thousands and thousands of accounts in my same business that use square and we must take payment over the phone. We are not allowed to have people in the store, we must take payment over the phone. Our fees are tripled and I think it says alot about the company for not doing the right thing during this very difficult time. I think they should go back to March 12th and refund us the difference in these additional fees. 

Message 16 of 166

Thanks for adding your voice here, @val411. Let us know if there is anything we can do to answer questions about Square's resources during these uncertain times. We are here to help!

Joe
Message 17 of 166

Is square refunding fees for March?

Message 18 of 166

Hi there, @Louis1234 👋 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

I can help clarify this a bit! Square is currently offering all of our Sellers refunded subscription fees for the month of March. This includes fees for Appointments, Marketing, Team Management, and other subscription based services.

You can see all of our provided efforts to assist our Sellers during this time by visiting our Covid-19 Resource Hub here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Message 19 of 166

I see that fees associated with subscriptions and etc. have been reimbursed and waived but what about transaction fees? We believe that transaction fees should be reimbursed or at the bare min should be reduced due to this time as it is affecting us business owners.

Message 20 of 166

Hi there, @PROUDFitness. Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community and sharing your question and concern.

I've moved your post to a recent thread of other Sellers who were also inquiring about fees during this time. You can reference @Valentina Best Answer for more information.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Joe
Message 21 of 166