x

Will fees for manual entry be waived during COVID-19?

Here's a friendly suggestion from a long time Square user with multiple business locations: to help small businesses cope with the craziness of COVID-19 - waive the extra charges for manually entered credit cards, since we are (in many states) being forced to take payment over the phone versus swiping a card, therefore being forced to have higher fees!!!

Thank you for listening!

Message 1 of 166
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

I wish your company would just own that they are not going to consider altering rates because they want to benefit from high manual entry rates to off set your loss from  businesses that use you that have closed or slowed down and/or you will to make a profit where they can.

Message 148 of 166

Hi there. I'm a psychologist in private practice in Florida. I am horrified that Square still has not done anything about transaction fees when the card isn't present. Did you switch to another cc processor?

Thank you

Erica

Message 149 of 166

I did--switched to Ivypay, a HIPAA compliant app designed for therapists.  It works great--similar set up but so easy because once they enter the cc info into the secure page, I just hit "charge" and they don't have to re-enter the information.  I will probably stick with it.  The fees are similar and if you get someone you know to sign up they give $1000 in free processing for you and that person.  

They send a weekly and monthly report--it's convenient.  It doesn't have all the reporting features Square does but to save the money on fees is worth giving up those other features.  

Message 150 of 166

That sounds good to me but I use Square for payroll and online scheduling, too, so difficult to switch.

Message 151 of 166

Hi Erica

i switched to Ivy Pay, a HIPAA approved way to press a button and clients card is charged.  It’s 2.75 + .15 I think.

Message 152 of 166

I'm wondering if with Ivy Pay, you can also keep the card on file for late cancels/no shows? I'm also thinking about switching as these fees are getting horrendous.

Message 153 of 166

Yup. Perhaps this thread will turn into an ad for Ivy Pay. I plan to switch at least temporarily as they charge one fee and clients can save a card on file.

On their site: 

Ivy Pay only serves qualified, licensed therapists so you enjoy a low, no-swipe rate without the traditional 33% no-swipe markup.

It’s one flat rate for all major cards, just 2.75% per charge, (compare at 3.5% + 15¢)

Thanks Square as this thread of customers frustrated with your profiting off Covid-19 helped me find a cheaper processing option!

Message 154 of 166

Thanks for the info. i'm signing up now. Just having problems with their app glitching. Support answered right away!

Message 155 of 166

Yes you can charge for no shows etc.  they have the card you supply the client’s initials and mobile number with the date and time, and the card will be charged.

Message 156 of 166

I’m only accepting exact cash for ice cream quarts.  I refuse to pay those fees. 

Message 157 of 166
Beta Member

We own a small coffee shop in Illinois.  Our average ticket is less than $10 for in-store, cafe customers.  Your recent implementation of the additional .10 transaction fee was costly for my business.  Now as we look to re-open for limited services (to a limited base of customers), I'm implementing new contactless payment options--- and those having even greater fees.  If i understand this correctly, my fees will be 2.9% and .30c for CNP (card not present) if I'm using online ordering-- or partnering with a 3rd party for an integrated app, i.e. Pepper, Pre-order, PoppinPay, Chownow, etc.  Is that correct?

Are there any workarounds?  i.e. top-off e-giftcards with a single transaction and then allow customers to charge against that balance without transaction fees?

Message 158 of 166
Admin

Hey @michaelhatfield-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

One thing I can suggest in your case is our Free Processing referral program.  This would help cover fee costs for your business. We're still looking for ways to support our sellers during this challenging time, and will make sure to post any fee or transaction rate updates in this thread. Thanks again for posting. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 159 of 166

Chiming in here on manual cc fees.   As a small business owner and a Square Stockholder, I was impressed with the initial waiving of POS and inventory management fees.  However 9 weeks into this and phone /curbside transactions still very much in view for the foreseeable future, I am hopeful Square could once again step in reduce the 3.5% and 15cents per transaction fee.  The referral fee mentioned in Square's response is absurd at this point in time.  Square- give a small business a break! Many have been loyal and the success of  Square was built on small business.

Message 160 of 166

This is such a disappointment and I feel like Square has been stringing everyone who has brought this up along. The least they could do is split the difference or remove the 15 cents. Pacifying statements feel like the run around and biding time.

Message 161 of 166

I have used square between two of my businesses for over 12 years. In the beginning I was able to use swiping and Chip reading. But with covid-19, the business has changed and I usually do not see my client face to face. In order to pay me I have to manually input their credit card information into square. The fee is significantly Higher by might having to do this. I'm sure you're getting more business by people having to type in credit card information and I'm hoping you will consider lowering the rates for manual transmission.

Message 162 of 166

This has been so disappointing I signed up for IvyPay

Message 163 of 166

I agree with you and posted the same question. I suppose there will be no positive response from them. Disappointing for a struggling small business. 

Message 164 of 166

All of our business in 2020 was manual entry only due to COVID. I see a similar pattern in 2021 so why does square not help us with a lower rate? Our banks and government has help so how about you?

Message 165 of 166

I was so frustrated and disappointed by this and by reading how Square profited by this without trying to help that I chose a different company.

Message 166 of 166