x

Will fees for manual entry be waived during COVID-19?

Here's a friendly suggestion from a long time Square user with multiple business locations: to help small businesses cope with the craziness of COVID-19 - waive the extra charges for manually entered credit cards, since we are (in many states) being forced to take payment over the phone versus swiping a card, therefore being forced to have higher fees!!!

Thank you for listening!

Message 1 of 166
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We're here to provide whatever resources we're able to, @FifiFido. We’re continually evaluating all options to help our sellers as this situation evolves, however we haven’t made changes to transaction fees at this time. *For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square PaymentsOr this informative video!

In addition, we put together some Coronavirus resources available here in the Seller Community definitely let us know if any questions come up after taking a peek!

Have you considered using Square Invoices to accept payments, or taking payments online instead of manually entering card information in? You could also get started with your online store by taking a look at this article from our Support Center.

*This reply was edited by a moderator on August 26, 2020 to offer more visibility into Square's pricing.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 166
165 REPLIES 165

As a small business owner the manually entered fees are eating us up on top of not being able to be open. We have to do what is convenient for our customers and Square Invoices are not necessarily the most convenient for them. Please lower fees during this time, if you really want to "help".

Thank you!

Message 22 of 166

We are getting out online store set but the last week we have had to hand key most transactions.  Is Square waiving this fee or will you be giving a credit due to the circumstances with the virus?

Message 23 of 166
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @sgt2009 - thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community! 

I've merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also inquiring of fee changes during this season. Valentina's Best Answer here will give you all the relevant information regarding our efforts to support our Sellers during this pandemic.

Let me know if you have any remaining questions!

Joe
Message 24 of 166

blah blah blah, Square. Your efforts thus far are ineffective and completely out of touch with your client-base. 

Message 25 of 166

Agree!  I called Square about this almost 2 weeks ago and they acknowledged the high demand for manual entry fees to be reduced or waived and nothing has happened.  Many of their "resources" and other options don't work for all businesses.

Message 26 of 166

I am doing invoices as it is the healthiest way for me and my customers, but am being charged MORE. You should at the very LEAST wave the 30 cent charge per transaction! Some of my sales are only $5.49 and that is a HUGE hefty charge in itself then tack on 2.9%?? The fact that you have done NOTHING about adjusting fees at this time is outrageous!

Message 27 of 166

I agree too.  Face to face contact right now is prohibited and a PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS.  If  you truly cared about your customers and everyone in the world by reducing contact, you would lower the fees for manually entering payments.  to not do so is irresponsible.

Message 28 of 166

We just opened our ice cream shop for telephone orders of quarts, and we manually entered the credit cards.  In two days, we went through our free $1000 processing fees!  We are now at a loss as to how we should proceed.  This isn’t feasible for us to continue in this way.  

Message 29 of 166

I'm adding my voice to please reduce fees during this global pandemic. I am a therapist working hard to transition to telehealth while supporting folks with increased anxiety, depression, and grief right now.

While I try to invoice clients to reduce fees, many of them are not tech and email-savvy so they would rather I just "charge them." at the time of service. These would ALL be swiped transactions if we were meeting in person, but now some of them are manual charges with virtual terminal. Show some compassion for us and reduce these fees even if you can't waive them!

Message 30 of 166

Yes, these extra manual entry fees are brutal on our Therapy Practices. Please reduce them as it will be a while until we can all meet in person again for swiped or dipped transactions. Thank you for your consideration.

Message 31 of 166

Why can't you reduce the fee to the fee we would pay if we could swipe? It feels a bit opportunistic.

Thank you

Message 32 of 166

I have the same concern as the curbside pick-up and deliveries that are necessary for my business at this time. I got someone on the line who was VERY NICE and helpful and said that the company is exploring options to handle this. Reassuring at least. She also said signing up for the gift card program is a good way to promote and is at 2.9% + $.30/transaction. 

Message 33 of 166

Considering Square works with many small businesses, Square should temporarily decrease the fee associated with the "card not present" due to struggling small business owners.  

Message 34 of 166

It is so sad that Square will not listen to the cries and pleads for this simple yet meaningful to sellers forging through covid request. They just have shocked me with how they have handled their sellers needs during the covid situation.

They stopped the Square Installments program

They withdrew capital offers from Sellers that had offers waiting on their dashboard. 

They are not offering Capital offers to algorithm eligible sellers that are STILL PRODUCING REVENUE during Covid.

They STILL, STILL ...I repeat STILL do not haveva path for their sellers to apply forbthe SBA's PPP.

They have saw the pleading request for them to alter or at least reduce the card not present charge to the the swipe rate. I mean come on they know that sellers are having to run sales during covid with card not present. What is it like a .75 or less fee reduction?

Wish things could have been different. They could have been different. A total let down for sellers maneuvering through this virus situation. 

Message 35 of 166

Thanks for reaching out and adding your voice here, @car1! We are glad to have you as a new member of the Seller Community.

I've merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about processing fees during Covid. This Best Answer will point you to some helpful resources regarding our efforts to assist Sellers during this time.

Let me know if you have any specific questions! I am here to help.

Joe
Message 36 of 166

Thanks for taking advantage of us small businesses during the pandemic. Appreciate it!

Message 37 of 166

Nearly all businesses are moving to contactless payments. Is square considering waiving the extra fees for charging card on file and invoices? Having to pay higher fees to stay covid safe/aware seems in poor taste with your customers, square. Any insight?

Message 38 of 166

Hi there, @jenschiffler - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also inquiring about processing rates during the time of Covid. We would recommend taking a look at this Best Answer from Valentina for more information.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help!

Joe
Message 39 of 166

This is the time of the virus, we have closed our doors and still processing customers and have lost many orders and customers. To avoid infection we are using distancing- and that means we cannot use physical cards but enter them manually. Why such a discrepancy in the rates charged by Square for a physical card versus a manual entry. This higher rate is hurting our business-- this manual entry is going to be the norm going forward-- CAN SQUARE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE FOR ALL THEIR CLIENTS>>>>

Other people should chime iin please

Message 40 of 166

Hi there, @Jediwzrd - thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread regarding our active steps to help Sellers during this Pandemic. Many of our Sellers have had similar concerns, and this Best Answer from Valentina helps address and answer FAQ's.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! 

Joe
Message 41 of 166

Hello small business owners -

Is Square offering any help in lowering the manual credit card fee during COVID-19? To enter a card manually it's 3.5% = .15. Thats a lot high than when we swipe cards. But right now, many of us don't have any options but I manually enter cards for our business to open. I think in these times, these high processing fees should be lowered. It's kinda a awful thing to put on top of all us Small Biz owners who already have enough problems.

Message 42 of 166