x
Beta Member

Would like to select default dining option for each device

We have a food/ice cream place with 3 Square Stands. Since the cashiers frequently forget it, I would like to make "Drive Thru" the default dining option on the drive thru one and "For Here" the default option on the other two. Currently it appears that they must all have the same default.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

@henyo You're right, at this time dining options are saved to item library and not to a specific device. 

As a workaround you could create a separate location from your Square account. When you create a new location you can transfer your existing item library to that location but set up your "Drive Thru: dining options as the default for that location. Sign in to your new location from the Stand you use for Drive Thru orders and the dining options you've set for that location will the the default.

Keep in mind when you create a new location you can deactivate it but you can't delete it. Also having another location might also help you track Drive Thru versus in-store sales if you need that data. Hope this helps but if you have any questions about this let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Hi there @Helen!

I see that this question was asked a little over 2 years ago now.  Wanted to circle back around to this as we are experiencing the same situation at our cafe.  I would love our Square Register that we use in our drive-thru window to always default to "Drive-Thru" as the default dining option. However, the register we use inside for customers who want to come and stay a while should have a default dining option of "Dine In".  

Have there been any updates to the dining options that let me set different defaults based on the terminal rather than for my entire items library?

*EDIT* - to give a little more context...we have 2 remote printers that print tickets out to our bar area and to our food service area. Our staff in those 2 areas rely on accurate dining option descriptions on the tickets to know where to push the food/drink to so drive-thru orders don't get mixed up with dining-in orders (or vice versa) when we stage them.  While our staff is usually pretty good at ensuring the correct dining option is selected, there are errors.  Being able to set different default dining options on each register would vastly reduce user errors and help us streamline our service

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

I posted the question originally and, as far as I know, you still can't select a default dining option for each device.

Under New York State's complex sales tax rules some items are taxed when consumed on the premises but not if taken out. The only item that we sell that I'm aware of being in that category is bottled water. Since it's a rather low quantity item for us, I opted to always charge the tax.

Message 4 of 7

As someone who went the "2 locations route" to set default dining options, we are switching back to 1 location.

There were too many little things that made us switch back.

• The biggest issue is tickets not being shared across locations.  Someone takes a phone order, and it is only at that location.
  • In reports, some screens had a default location set alphabetically so having to change it constantly to other or all locations
  • The menu not being sync'd between locations (if using standard, not restaurant).

The new UI having the dining option on top right with swipe to change is easy enough.  I put a little post-it note next to it with an arrow to get staff to remember to select.

If you have any questions, I'm Around.
Message 5 of 7

@Square curious if there is a solution to this yet for Square POS users?  Having a default dining option by device would be so helpful for restaurants with multiple ordering points.  This would help prevent slip-ups and save time troubleshooting when employees forget to swipe to the dining option. 

in our store we have a register at drive thru, walk up window, and our dining room counter.  It would be awesome to be able to have the corresponding dining option set by default to each device.  

Hoping for an update on this soon if it hasn’t already been done. 

Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @TheShakery - Welcome back to the Seller Community! 

At this time we do not have an update to provide on the request. We suggest that you post your feature request in our Ideate board here. On this board it will have more exposure to our Square product team. The more momentum and chatter we get around this, the more likely it is to being built out. 

Thank you. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 7 of 7