x

Can a customer display work with square?

Can a customer display work with square? If so which ones will work best on an Android tablet?

Message 1 of 71
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

yes, you can use an iPad mini and the Customer Display beta app to show a very limited amount of info.  It is not near as robust as the customer-facing display on the new Square Register.  Customers can't sign on the screen, just see the transaction cart.

this page has all the info you should need and how to install it.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5492-customer-display

Note: At this time the Customer Display beta app is only available in the US and on iOS devices.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Hi @Joe 

Is this functionality still limited to the US? I see the original solution is quite old.

Thanks.

Message 43 of 71
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @WiredEspresso! Thanks for reaching out. Yes - currently this feature will be available to US Sellers only. We look to expand availability soon. Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 71
Super Seller

I'm a UK beta tester that would like to have this too - especially useful in the current climate! 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 45 of 71

We've noted it, @WiredEspresso! Thanks for pinging in here and letting us know. We will be sure to reach back out if this becomes available for testing.

Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 46 of 71

Do we need to call to enable this feature on our account? I do not see the option under settings to turn it on.

Message 47 of 71

@spdc What location are you hoping to enable this for and can you tell me exactly what step you are getting stuck on? I also want to confirm you are following the steps in this help article as well. 

AshleyK
Message 48 of 71

I want to test it Out for our Capital cafe location. Based on your article I cannot find settings- Customer Display option.

Message 49 of 71

Hey @spdc can you please sign out of your app and try again? It should appear now as I've enabled some permissions for you to view it. Let me know if you're still having trouble and I can send you a private message to work on your account details together. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 50 of 71

Awesome sauce its up and running. Would it be possible to turn it on for West Coast cafe and Sabre Spring as well?

Message 51 of 71

@spdc Done! 🙂 

If any other sellers are experiencing trouble, please let me know in this thread. You can also contact our Customer Support team as for many accounts there is a permission that needs to be enabled before you can view the customer display permissions. 

Thanks in advance!

AshleyK
Message 52 of 71

@AshleyK 

Also looking to have this done for Refill Cafe, thanks

Message 53 of 71

@spdc Hi! Waiting on it being enabled, but was wondering what functionality you are able to get with the display screen? Trying to go touchless on our screen, so wanting to be able to select tip amount on the display. Thanks for the info!

Message 54 of 71

Its very basic, but it works for what I need. It shows the customer what they are paying for. Imagine like the pole display on old school registers.

Message 55 of 71

I just bought an ios device to add to my square stand only to learn after many hours of digging and a few call ins that the second screen does not work with Square Retail unless you have Square Register and not Square Stand in case anyone runs into that. We have Square Retail in our store and want a second screen but cant really justify the cost of the new register and getting new equipment after just 1.5 years since swapping to Square and since most of our stuff isnt compatible with Square Register but is with Square Stand we would have to cough up more for new printer, scanner, etc. Maybe by the holidays. 

Message 56 of 71
Alumni

@kwarren1086 - Eek, sorry for the confusion. 

I agree - dropping a lot of money on piece of hardware only use the customer display is not ideal or cost effective. Hopefully we can make the Customer display compatible with the Retail POS app in the future!

We'll let you know as we learn more 🙂

Justin
Message 57 of 71
Beta Member

hi @AshleyK  cannot find settings Customer Display option. can u help me enable setting for my cafe?thanks

Message 58 of 71
Super Seller

@xogonjai - what part of the world are you in? As the customer display is only available in the US.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 59 of 71
Beta Member

@Sam_400º  NY

Message 60 of 71

I have a small cafe with one ipad. Pre-Covid I would spin my ipad around for customers to complete their transaction, leave a tip, or type in the their pin for insert payments. 

Now I have a piece of glass between me and my customers. 

I have two problems:

1. If someone is doing an insert payment then they have to put their hand UNDER the glass and try and type in their info and I am getting complaints. 

2. We aren't getting tips anymore because I need to ask each person if 'they would like to leave a tip' and this get tricky and relentless....

I called Square and asked if I could set up another Ipad outside my glass barrier so that my transaction could be seen in two places. They said no. They did try and sell me an $800 product that could solve this problem, but obviously I can't afford this now. 

What are other people doing? 

Thanks

janet 

Message 61 of 71

Hey there, @Jamari

I have moved your post to a thread about Customer-Facing displays. 

There is an option to use an iPad for this. Here is a Support Article with some helpful steps too. 

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 62 of 71

I built something pretty neat called Customer Experiences that's focused on the customer experience entirely. Just use one screen for Square POS, and one screen with Customer Experiences.

Feel free to checkout quirktechnologies.com for more and schedule a demo with us! All the best!

Message 63 of 71